Is UK setting precedent with Twitter injunction?

Home Forums Miscellaneous Is UK setting precedent with Twitter injunction?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Scott Bryan 8 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

Kim Schaefer
    Participant

I found this article quite interesting and promising in terms of rethinking old ways of doing things: UK court orders writ to be served via Twitter. As this article states, since impersonating others is against Twitters Terms of Service, you can contact twitter to deal with this problem, as well.

The thing I found interesting was the court was willing to "think outside the box" to use a clichéd phrase on a topic that is fairly new to them and changing so rapidly. Since social media, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn...is changing every aspect of how companies, government and people operate, communicate and relate; it only makes sense that we question and reconsider how we deal with them from a policy or legal perspective.

For example, we all know old communication mechanisms (print advertising, newspapers, magazines, etc.) are not as effective or desirable in the new age of social media. I saw a video recently that said if Facebook were a country, it would be the 4th largest...fascinating.

Scott Bryan
    Participant

How much longer before somebody gets a text message like this: "You are now under arrest for [violation.] Either proceed immediately along the route shown to surrender yourself to authorities, or officers will be dispatched to intercept you and you will face the additional charge of resisting arrest. ..."

Kim Schaefer
    Participant

Scary thought, Scott. Hopefully, in our society where freedom of speech is paramount – never. However, writing from a perspective where I always first assume good intentions, I would also hope that people would not impersonate others in social media with the intent to do harm. But, this shows the opposite, uglier side of social media. The side where people can use it anonymously in a cowardly attempt to inflict harm on others freely without repercussions.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.