Is YOUR Boss Enthusiastic About Telework?

Home Forums Human Resources Is YOUR Boss Enthusiastic About Telework?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Jeff S 5 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

Doris Tirone
    Participant

GovExec reports that federal employers are buying into the concept of telework. This pronouncement came on the heels of a new report released by Microsoft in which survey respondents claimed their bosses were enthusiastic about telework.

As an avid skeptic, the first thing that came to my mind was that Microsoft might have something to gain by skewing their data to show this growing support from federal employers.

You be the judge. Is your boss enthusiastic about telework?

Jeff S
    Participant

My boss yes. His boss no.

Terrence Hill
    Participant

I happen to be the telework coordinator for my agency. My supervisor is supportive of the concept, but leadership often gives mixed messages. For instance, many leaders do not telework themselves, implying that if you want to get ahead, you will follow suit. Also, many still insist that meetings be held in-person/face-to-face, regardless of whether we “have an app for that.” Lastly, many leaders insist that employees trade-off other freedoms in order to telework, sometimes requiring extensive reporting requirements, bartering for flexible work schedules, or requiring frequent “check-ins.” Fundamentally, there is a lack of trust, which is essential to successfully implementing telework.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.