ISO Section 508 solutions for data visualization

Home Forums Technology ISO Section 508 solutions for data visualization

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Abbie Elliott 2 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

Daniel Honker
    Participant

I’m using data visualization software (Tableau, specifically) within a Federal agency to create cool new ways of presenting acquisition data. The dashboards I’ve created have gone over very well — we’ve gotten great feedback from across the agency, and there are already signs that the visualizations we’ve created are sparking change to improve performance.

This is great… but the software is not fully compliant with section 508 accessibility requirements. The core features of the tool — interactive filtering, hover-over displays, graphs — failed a 508 compliance check.

I’m looking into the specific software’s compliance with 508, but in the meantime, I want to know what other analytics professionals have done to make data and their findings from visualization tools accessible. Visualization tools are very powerful, but it seems that yet again technology has sped far ahead of policy.

What have you done to make your data visualizations accessible to people with disabilities?

Thanks,

Daniel

Abbie Elliott
    Participant

Have you tried 508Q?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.