November 22, 2011 at 2:24 pm #146199
Assistant City Manager, City of Sedona
Post Date Nov 21, 2011 Salary Pending Review Start Date Application Deadline N/A ICMA Members Only No ICMA Credential (Details) not required Normal Population 10,400 Seasonal Population 11,300 Employer Location Sedona, Arizona United States Job Reference Number Keywords Assistant City Manager
Job Description DEFINITION
Under the direction of the City Manager, coordinates activities of departments; supervises department heads; develops and administers policies, programs, and projects, serves as the City Manager’s chief assistant and may act as City Manager in his/her absence; performs related work as required.
The Assistant City Manager is responsible for carrying out a wide range of research and representational activities requiring analytical ability and diplomacy in managing assigned City programs and projects. A high degree of judgment and administrative ability is involved. Must be able to demonstrate ability to understand financial analysis.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Receives general supervision from the City Manager.
ESSENTIAL AND MARGINAL FUNCTION STATEMENTS--Essential and other important responsibilities and duties depending on which main function of the department you may be assigned, may include, but is not limited to, the following:
1. Conducts organizational, administrative, fiscal and other studies and collects information on operational and administrative problems;
2. Consults with departmental representatives regarding policy and procedural matters;
3. Assists in developing policies and procedures;
4. Assists with the review of budgets;
5. Confers with persons making complaints or requesting services and explains City policies and procedures;
6. Prepares correspondence for or in the name of the City Manager;
7. Prepares informational material for public reports;
8. Attends meetings as a representative of the City Manager;
9. Acts as liaison between City and various boards and commissions;
10. Directs the inter-governmental relations program including seeking, preparing and monitoring grant applications, informing City departments of current legislation and grants affecting their operation and acting as liaison with other governmental jurisdictions;
11. Coordinates the Planning, Management and Budget System, franchise administration and productivity program;
12. Manages special projects as assigned;
13. May be responsible for supervising various departments; and
14. May act for the City Manager in his/her absence.
15. Maintain or perform website content function within assigned role.
Knowledge of the principles and methods of public administration; knowledge of the functions and problems of municipal government; knowledge of statistics and research methods; ability to analyze problems and make sound recommendations; ability to speak and write effectively; ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with council, employees and the public
Experience and Training Guidelines
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Four years of experience in municipal management or municipal financial management. Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a master’s degree in public or business administration and progressively responsible experience in municipal administration. A strong background in municipality and budgetary management is preferred.
Equivalent to a Bachelors degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in business administration or public administration or a related field. MPA or MBA and city manager office experience is preferred.
License or Certificate:
Possession of, or the ability to obtain, a State of Arizona drivers license.
Office environment utilizing computers.
Essential and other important responsibilities and duties may require maintaining physical condition necessary for sitting for prolonged periods of time and working closely with others; general manual dexterity.
102 Roadrunner Drive
Sedona, AZ 86336
E-mail: [email protected]
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.