August 12, 2011 at 1:03 pm #138217
Department: Department Of Veterans Affairs
Agency: Office of the Assistant Secretary for Management
Job Announcement Number: SES-11-514645-VP
$119,554.00 – $179,700.00 /year
Thursday, August 11, 2011 to Thursday, September 01, 2011
SERIES & GRADE:
Full Time Senior Executive Service (SES)
1 vacancy – Washington DC Metro Area, DC
WHO MAY BE CONSIDERED:
All groups of qualified individuals
The Department of Veterans Affairs is interested in attracting the best talent for our diverse cadre of SES members from all sources: within VA, the Federal government, and from the private sector. We have streamlined our recruitment process and now only require you to submit a 5 page resume to apply for this position.
This position serves as the Associate Deputy Assistant Secretary (ADAS) for Program Budgets and is the principal advisor to the Deputy Assistant Secretary (DAS) for Budget and other key officials within the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) on matters pertaining to the budget formulation, presentation, execution, and related budgetary and program analysis for medical, information technology, and benefits programs. The incumbent has overall responsibility for leadership of the Administration’s program budgets with a total budget of approximately $125 billion. In carrying out the duties of this position, the ADAS for Program Budgets actively collaborates with executive level leadership within the Department to ensure that the work of the organization is strategically linked to the direction of the business of the Department and that VA is regarded in the Federal community both as a leader in performance and accountability and financial management. The incumbent accomplishes directing the organization of twelve through two direct reports, the Director, Medical and Information Technology Programs and the Director, Benefits Programs.
VA structures its SES positions into pay bands. This is a pay band 3 position and the salary range is $119,554 – $165,300. Exceptions to the salary cap may be considered in certain circumstances.
A recruitment/relocation incentive and/or Guaranteed Home Buyout may be authorized.
- US Citizenship is required
- Successful completion of background investigation & possible drug screening
- Selectee maybe subject to geographic or organizational reassignment/travel
- Pubic Financial Disclosure Report is required
- Males born after December 31, 1959 must be registered for Selective Service
- One year probationary period for initial SES appointment
Additional Duty Location Info:1 vacancy – Washington DC Metro Area, DC
The Associate Deputy Assistant Secretary (ADAS) for Program Budgets, Office of Budget, Office of Management reports to the Deputy Assistant Secretary for Budget. The ADAS for Program Budgets has primary responsibility for budget formulation, presentation, execution, and related budgetary and program analysis for medical, information technology (IT), and benefits programs. Other duties include but not limited to the following:
- Responsible for budgetary analysis, development of recommendations, and implementation of budgets supporting Departmental objectives. In this role, the incumbent advises the Deputy Assistant Secretary (DAS) for Budget on budgetary requirements, long and short-term analyses, and application of the Administration’s budgetary policies;
- Works with VA’s Office of Performance Management and other organizational elements to ensure the Department’s OMB and Congressional budget submissions include performance measures and performance goals that help demonstrate what program performance levels VA will achieve in return for the resources requested;
- Recommends to the DAS for budget basic plans and policy guidelines or changes to be established for the purpose of improving the budget and budgetary operations of the Department’s medical, IT, and benefits programs;
- Directs the coordination of a wide range of VA budgetary functions involving agency-administration relationships in the budget formulation and execution process. Supports the presentation and defense of budget estimates before the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), Treasury, and the staffs of the appropriation committees of Congress, to ensure concerted action on all budget issues;
- Directs the review and evaluation of the fiscal year operating plans, which support medical, IT, and benefits programs and their activities; and
- Monitors and evaluates program budget execution by managing the analysis of spending trends, identifying key budget execution issues, and developing recommendations for course correction.
Qualifications and Evaluations
The Senior Executive Service (SES) is comprised of the men and women charged with leading the continuing transformation of government. These leaders possess well-honed executive skills, share a broad perspective of government, and a public service commitment.
Both competitive and non-competitive applicants MUST SHOW in your 5 PAGE RESUME that you possess the five Mandatory Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs) and the Technical Qualification(s) outlined below.
The target competencies deemed most pertinent to this position have been specified under each ECQ description below. It is highly recommended that your resume address your accomplishments in these specific competency areas. Remember, your resume must not exceed 5 pages including an optional cover letter. Any information in excess of 5 pages will NOT be considered or evaluated.
The definitions of the SES ECQs and their underlying competencies can be found at:
A. Executive Core Qualifications
ECQ 1. LEADING CHANGE:
• Target Competency 1: Flexibility
• Target Competency 2: Resilience
ECQ 2. LEADING PEOPLE:
• Target Competency 1: Conflict Management
• Target Competency 2: Developing Others
ECQ 3. RESULTS DRIVEN:
• Target Competency 1: Accountability
• Target Competency 2: Problem Solving
ECQ 4. BUSINESS ACUMEN:
• Target Competency 1: Financial Management
• Target Competency 2 Technology Management
ECQ 5. BUILDING COALITIONS:
• Target Competency 1: Partnering
• Target Competency 2: Political Savvy
B. Technical Qualification
Knowledge of the budget formulation and presentation process, Federal budget examination and analysis principles and procedures for optimal use of resources, and the ability to oversee the execution and administration of a budget for a large decentralized organization.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Step 1: Minimum ECQ-based qualifications
Step 2: Technical qualification screening
Step 3: VA Executive Resources Board (ERB) rating and ranking
Step 4: Structured interviews to determine Best Qualified (BQ) applicants
Step 5: Tentative selection by Nominating Organization (May include additional screening)
Step 6: Approval by the Selecting Official (May include additional screening)
Step 7: OPM Qualifications Review Board (QRB) Certification
Non-Competitive Consideration: You are considered a non-competitive applicant if you are a current career SES appointee, reinstatement eligible SES, or a QRB certified graduate of an SES candidate development program. Non-Competitive applicants must submit a complete application as noted under “Required Documents”. The Agency has the option of considering you noncompetitively or including you in the competitive process (Steps 2-6 above).
Benefits and Other Info
The Federal Government offers a number of exceptional benefits to its employees. The following Web address is provided for your reference to explore the major benefits offered to most federal employees. http://usajobs.gov/El/benefits.asp.
How To Apply
HOW TO APPLY:
We strongly encourage you to apply online. Your complete application must be received by 11:59pm EST on the closing date in order for you to be considered. Please read all instructions before you begin.
To begin click the Apply Online button and follow the prompts to register and submit all required documents. To return to your saved application, login in to your USAJOBS account at http://www.usajobs.opm.gov/ and click on “Application Status.” Click on the position title, and then select “Apply Online” to continue.
If you CANNOT apply online:
1. Click the following link to view and print the questionnaire. View Occupational Questionnaire
2. Print your resume and required documents.
3. FAX to (478)757-3144. Feed all documents into your fax machine top first so that we receive them right-side up. You must obtain and print a copy of the OPM Form 1203-FX, to provide your answers. Refer to the link below for instructions for completing the OPM Form 1203-FX. The form URL is at: http://www.opm.gov./forms/pdf_fill/OPM1203fx.pdf.
Please note you may also call USAJOBS by Phone at (703) 724-1850 to have the OPM Form 1203-FX mailed to you; however, this is not a practical alternative if the announcement is nearing its closing date. After the introduction on the recording, press 1, and listen for instructions to request the form.
A complete application for this position includes the following items:
1. Resume which demonstrates your experience, accomplishment, training, education and awards reflecting your ability to meet each of the MANDATORY technical and executive core qualification requirement(s) for this position. Elaborate on your experience and accomplishments, highlighting your level of responsibilities, scope and complexity of programs managed, work objectives met (results of your efforts), policy initiatives and level of contact. Ensure your resume does not exceed five (5) pages. Information beyond the five page resume will not be evaluated. DO NOT submit the application form OF-612, Optional Application for Federal Employment in lieu of a resume. DO NOT submit separate narrative responses to address the technical and executive core qualifications.
2. Your resume should include three references with at least one being the current or prior supervisor.
3. Complete responses to the Occupational Questionnaire.
4. Non-competitive applicants: Proof of noncompetitive eligibility is required. Proof consists of an SF-50 showing career status in the SES and/or proof of certification of your executive core qualifications from the OPM administered QRB. Traditional method applications will NOT be accepted.
AGENCY CONTACT INFO:
Email: [email protected]
VA Corporate Senior Executive Management Office
810 Vermont Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20420
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
You will be notified of the status of your application throughout the process. If you are deemed a “Highly Qualified” applicant, you should be prepared to participate in a structured interview.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.