May 20, 2011 at 2:54 pm #130935
City operations are managed by the City Administrator, who is chosen by the city council. The City Administrator's Office is responsible for the executive management of the highly diverse operations of the City. The City Administrator provides leadership, vision, and direction to City Service Areas, implements City Council policy, and works with City Council and administrative staff to craft strategic and financial planning objectives.
The City Administrator also serves in a highly visible capacity as an ambassador for the community and to other governmental agencies. Duties include: General Administration; Organizational Development; Community Relations; Intergovernmental Relations; Council Support/Relations; City Budget & Financial Planning; and Human Resources & Labor Relations.
• Direct, supervise and coordinate the work of the following Service Areas: Safety Services, Public Services, Community Services and Financial and Administrative Services.
• Direct and supervise the Communications and City Clerk’s Units and Human Resources Services.
• Direct, supervise and coordinate the work of additional administrative units as the Council may, from time to time, designate.
• Leads strategic planning, goal setting and policy development in support of the City’s Guiding Principles and Goals.
• Responsible for creating and sustaining the City of Ann Arbor as a results oriented organization through expertise in organizational effectiveness, performance, measurement and budget accountability.
• Plans, coordinates and administers programs, inter-service area projects, contracts, events and studies.
• Plans, administers and evaluates management programs and policies related to the City Administrator’s office.
• Extensive experience in public sector management, preferably as a City Administrator, City Manager, or County Administrator in an urban setting which has a wide diversity of cultural, political, and service issues
• Experience must include direct responsibility for management and supervision of a large multi-service organization with full responsibility for development and administration of the budget
• Experience with a major university, and prior experience with developing positive working relationships with senior university administration personnel would be a definite asset
• Previous experience as City Administrator or City Manager in a city with a population of over 50,000 or as County Administrator in an urban county which has required strong financial management skills would be ideal
• Experience must include extensive successful involvement in an aggressive collective bargaining environment
• Candidate must have experience in a multi-cultural environment where issues are openly debated. A background that includes serving in positions that required active community contact and open communications between citizens, council, and staff is necessary
To learn more about this opening, please visit http://careers.govtjobs.com/c/job.cfm?vnet=0&site_id=9366&t731=202969&jb=7983487
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.