October 31, 2011 at 3:47 pm #144732
City Manager, City of Tifton
Post Date Oct 31, 2011 Salary negotiable Start Date 2/15/2011 Application Deadline 12/16/2011 ICMA Members Only No ICMA Credential (Details) not required Normal Population 16,000 Seasonal Population Employer Location Tifton, Georgia United States Job Reference Number Keywords Local Government Managment Job Description About The Candidate
The ideal candidate for City Manager of Tifton should be committed to provide the highest quality of service with honesty and integrity to the Tifton community. The successful candidate must possess a Bachelor’s degree in Public Administration or a related field from an accredited four-year college or university. A related Master’s degree is preferred. The successful candidate should also possess a minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in government administration, or any combination of education and experience that produces the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
About the Position
The new City Manager of Tifton will be appointed by and responsible to the City Council. The City Council appoints the City Manager for an indefinite term. This is a high-level executive management position that is responsible for directing and supervising the operations of the City of Tifton. The City Manager is the Chief Administrative Officer of the City and is responsible to the City Council for the Administration of all City affairs placed in the City Manager’s charge. Work involves managing and supervising all departments of the City to achieve goals using available resources. Responsibilities include preparing the annual budget, providing leadership and direction in the development of short and long range plans, advising the Mayor and City Council of financial conditions and current and future needs of the City, and monitoring and ensuring compliance with all state/federal regulations.
• Manages activities of City departments by assigning priorities and objectives to department heads and professional staff; reviews/approves management reports regarding department and administrative activities.
• Ensures that all City operations are performed within available resources.
• Provides leadership and direction in the development of short and long range plans; gathers, interprets and prepares data for studies, reports and recommendations for decision-making purposes.
• Provides professional advice to the Mayor and City Council and direction to department heads.
• Communicates official plans, policies and procedures to staff and the general public.
• Prepares and administers annual City budget; monitors revenues and expenditures by assigned area to ensure that City operations are performed within budget and to ensure sound fiscal control.
• Advises the Mayor and City Council of financial conditions and of current and future City needs.
• Prepares a variety of studies, reports, and related information for decision-making purposes.
• Assures effective and efficient use of budgeted funds, personnel, materials, facilities, and time.
• Determines work procedures, evaluates workflow and process, and expedites workflow; studies and standardizes procedures to improve efficiency and effectiveness of operations.
• Hires, promotes, and terminates all department heads, officers, and employees of the City.
• Ensures that all operations are performed according to City policies, procedures, and ordinances as well as according to Federal, State, and local laws.
• Tracks legislative issues and ensures that the City stays abreast of and in compliance with new laws.
• Attends all City Council meetings.
• Attends local, regional, and state meetings regarding policies and issues that impact the City.
• Serves as liaison to City Boards and communicates directives and addresses issues of City Council.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
• Knowledge of modern policies and practices of governmental management.
• Knowledge of personnel management, progressive disciplinary policies and state and federal guidelines.
• Skill in providing responsive advice and staff support to the Mayor and Council.
• Skill in operating computers and various computer programs such as Word, Excel, Outlook.
• Ability to prepare and analyze comprehensive reports.
• Ability to establish priorities and direct the allocation of City resources.
• Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, effectively, verbally and in writing.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, City officials and the public.
• Ability to efficiently and effectively administer a municipal government.
P O Box 229
Tifton, GA 31793
E-mail: [email protected]
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.