July 18, 2011 at 7:03 pm #135981
The City Manager serves as the Administrative Head of the City government. The City Manager is responsible to the Mayor and City council for the proper administration of all City business. The City Manager will work with the Mayor and City Council in development of City policies and carryout policies established by ordinances and resolutions.
City Manager Responsibilities:
- Attend all City Council meetings;
- Make reports and recommendations to the Mayor and Council about the needs of the City;
- Administer and enforce all City ordinances, resolutions, franchises, leases, contracts and permits;
- Appoint, supervise and remove City employees;
- Organize City departments and administrative structures;
- Prepare and administer the annual budget;
- Administer City utilities and property;
- Encourage and support regional and intergovernmental cooperation;
- Promote cooperation among the council, staff and citizens in developing city policies, and building a sense of community;
- Perform other duties as directed by the council;
- Foster the values of teamwork, collaboration and transparency throughout the City organization and promote a culture of trust and respect for superior customer service.
The City of Rockaway Beach is seeking a person with the knowledge, skills and ability to be an effective city manager and administrative leader who understands all aspects of city government and has a successful history of a "hands on" approach management style. The successful candidate will be expected to build on an already strong relationship among city staff. The City Council is seeking a person who is approachable and encourages open communication that develops trust and integrity and also brings an appropriate sense of humor and a can-do attitude to City Hall.
The City is looking for someone that has an excellent communication skill set in both listening skills and verbal abilities and they are as comfortable working with their staff and as working with various community groups. The successful candidate needs to be politically astute and a strategic thinker with a good understanding of the long term impacts of planning on the community. The City manager will need to work with the community as well as other area governmental bodies to continue working to keep already established relationships strong and to develop new ones to build trust and respect in the community.
The City and Staff
The City has 15 fulltime employees, 3 part-time employees and 3 contracted employees. The City of Rockaway Beach is a full service community with its own Police Department, Volunteer Fire Department, Parks and Recreation Department, Public Works Department that includes Water and Sewer systems. We contract for land use planning services, legal counsel, and engineering and emergency management services.
Like most communities in Oregon, Rockaway Beach has felt the effects of the economic downturn.
Rockaway Beach is home to 1,380 fulltime residents with over sixty percent of the homes in Rockaway Beach being second homes. The City has a mostly tourist based economy with some interest in internet based businesses. The City Manager needs to be able to balance the dynamics of permanent residential needs and the service demands associated with seasonal residents and tourists. The City Manager is expected to be an active and involved member of the community who is engaged in civic organizations and community outreach.
Candidates should have a minimum of five years of supervisory experience and five years of senior public sector management experience. A bachelor’s degree is required and a history of continuing education and professional development preferred. A master’s degree or post graduate work in a related field is a plus in addition to proficiency with municipal finance. Experience working with various governmental agencies and community groups and experience in successful grant writing is desirable.
The City of Rockaway Beach is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Rating is based on education, training, experience, knowledge, skills, abilities, oral interview and a reference check. A criminal background check and national fingerprint-based record check will be required as a condition of employment. A pre-employment drug screen will be required.
- Cover letter
- City of Rockaway Beach Application for Employment
- Examples of two projects and your role in those projects and why your projects relate to working as a City Manager in Rockaway Beach. Please limit your answers to one type written page per example.
- Three personal and three professional references to Rich Riley, Council President, City of Rockaway Beach, PO Box 5, Rockaway Beach, Oregon 97136. Response to supplemental questions may be required, and questions will be sent to all applicants via e-mail. References will be needed and will be checked. Confirmation of resumes being sent to the City of Rockaway Beach may be sent to [email protected].
OPEN UNTIL FILLED.
For additional information regarding the City of Rockaway Beach, City of Rockaway Beach Government and other information please access our web site: http://www.rockawaybeachor.u
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.