September 30, 2011 at 4:06 pm #142641
County Administrator, Spartanburg County, SC
Post Date Sep 29, 2011 Salary DOQ Start Date Application Deadline 10/28/2011 ICMA Members Only No ICMA Credential (Details) not required Normal Population 284,000 Seasonal Population Employer Location Spartanburg, South Carolina United States Job Reference Number Job Description COUNTY ADMINISTRATOR
SPARTANBURG COUNTY, SOUTH CAROLINA
Spartanburg County is a vibrant, progressive county located in the Upstate of South Carolina. With a population of over 284,000, the county is located approximately one hour from Charlotte, North Carolina, and two hours from Atlanta, Georgia. The County Council seeks a professional administrator to provide strategic and operational management of the organization.
The budget for fiscal year 2011-12 is approximately $153 million ( all funds). There is a professional staff of over 1,400 full time employees. The Administrator is appointed by a seven (7) member County Council and serves at their pleasure. The ideal candidate must possess experience in management, personnel, finance, economic development, development of revenue sources, working with an engaged citizens, and the skills to guide the development of strategic plans and capital improvement initiatives, and the capacity to manage organizational change. A more specific outline of required knowledge is below:
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
• Implements goals, programs, policies and procedures established and approved by a majority vote of the County Council.
• Plans, directs, coordinates and supervises the overall activities, direction, and organizational structure of county departments not headed by an elected official to ensure that county short and long range goals and objectives are achieved.
• Ensures that County departments comply with county policies (purchasing, personnel, EEO and Civil Rights, etc.). Ensures the creation, update and distribution of county policies.
• Assists elected officials when necessary to help them meet their statutory requirements.
• Conducts regular staff meetings to review department progress, accomplishments, budgets and operating plans.
• Establishes organization procedures and communicates procedures to department heads for implementation.
• Hires, commends, disciplines and terminates staff within the organization. Helps in the development of their potential and resolves employee disputes.
• Develops and presents the annual budget to County Council for action. Brings critical budget issues to the County Council for discussion.
• Ensures and follows that budgets are managed properly. Establishes and implements county costs controls. Reviews and approves expenditures per financial management policies.
• At the Direction of County Council represents the Council at various functions such as making speeches at civic and business association meetings. Meets with community members, developers, officials and representatives of the press to establish goodwill and resolve/respond to issues. Serves as the County’s representative to boards, committees, associations and other groups on behalf of the County Council.
• Directly and through staff identifies issues and provides analysis and recommendations to County Council.
• Performs other appropriate work as assigned by County Council.
Competitive salary DOQ plus excellent fringe benefits: Bachelor’s degree (Master’s preferred) in public administration, business administration or closely related field and at least seven (7) to ten (10) years of direct, progressive experience in local government or private sector administration, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the knowledge, skills and abilities required for the job.
Spartanburg County is an equal opportunity employer. Finalists’ names may be released pursuant to the South Carolina Freedom of Information Act.
Post Office Box 6668
Greenville, SC 29606
E-mail: [email protected]
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.