January 3, 2011 at 4:46 am #119032
DataHaven is a non-profit 501(c)3 organization dedicated to improving the Greater New Haven and Valley Region by compiling and
sharing high-quality public information for effective decision making.
DataHaven is a formal partner of the National Neighborhood Indicators
Partnership, a collaborative national effort by the Urban Institute and
local partners to further the development and use of neighborhood
information systems in local policymaking and community building. To
learn more visit ctdatahaven.org.
The Data Analyst is a full‐time, technical position based in downtown New Haven, Connecticut. The Data Analyst will assist in the
implementation of DataHaven initiatives and related projects, including
managing data sets for the Connecticut Data Partnership. Areas of
responsibility include data development, architecture, accuracy,
maintenance and public documentation. The Data Analyst will manage our
computerized data sets and data warehouse (database), conduct data
analysis, and support our research activities. We seek a professional
with an interest in playing a leadership role in the long-term growth
and success of our organization.
The core duties of the Data Analyst are:
1. Collecting, documenting and integrating local and regional data into our data
warehouse from a variety of primary and secondary sources;
2. Processing and “cleaning” data as needed;
3. Developing and maintaining data documentation and all data protocols;
4. Ensuring that data are reliable and comply with standards in regards to accuracy and confidentiality;
5. Working collaboratively with staff and partners to identify and secure appropriate data sources to expand the data warehouse.
Other duties include, but are not limited to:
1. Working with staff in data analysis strengths/limitations and best data dissemination techniques;
2. Updating and maintaining website and web applications;
3. Providing technical assistance, research and analysis in support of DataHaven initiatives;
4. Working with staff to fulfill data requests and provide assistance and training where required.
This position requires a bachelor’s degree in information systems, data analysis, geography, social sciences, urban planning or a related
field, plus at least 1 year of work experience in the use and
management of data. An advanced degree or the equivalent combination of
training or experience is preferred.
Required skills and knowledge include:
• Strong database management skills (Access, SQL, and/or Visual Basic) and integration of
other data sources (e.g., CSV, DBF, XLS files, Census data);
• Strong proficiency in MS Office Suite, including applications used for data analysis and presentation;
• Ability to communicate data and technical issues to persons with a range of expertise;
• Ability to work both independently and as a team‐member within tight timeframes;
• Strong writing and interpersonal skills;
Additional helpful, but not required, skills and knowledge include:
• Knowledge of principles and applications of social science and public
policy, including but not limited to biostatistics, survey methods,
human geography, urban and neighborhood planning, housing, education,
health, and other social issues;
• Proficiency with ESRI’s core GIS
software products including knowledge of cartography and map design
using ESRI desktop and server software;
• Graphic design, desktop publishing, IT support, open data / API, and/or web development experience;
• Experience working within of Connecticut and the Greater New Haven region;
• Knowledge of or experience working within diverse urban communities and neighborhoods;
• Spanish language ability.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Annualized starting salary determined based upon skills, qualifications, and experience. Benefits include health & dental
insurance, vacation time, sick time, and holidays. DataHaven is an
equal opportunity employer. We do not and will not discriminate in
employment and personnel practices on the basis of race, sex, age,
handicap, religion, national origin or any other basis prohibited by
applicable law. Hiring, transferring and promotion practices are
performed without regard to the above listed items. We commit to
affirming the value of diversity and promoting an environment free of
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.