May 22, 2011 at 5:44 pm #130971
Google Ideas is a “think/do tank” focused on connecting across different sectors, disciplines and experiences to understand and act upon global challenges in new and innovative ways. The establishment of this team is based on the fact that there are many complex global challenges – social, economic, political, security – that remain unresolved despite lots of experts thinking about them and vast resources being allocated to them. The advent of connection technologies is helping to resolve some of these challenges, but these tools remain significantly under-utilized and are also increasing the complexity of challenges as hostile actors are leveraging their capabilities. Google Ideas is situated within the Business Operations & Strategy Group, a broader team that thinks strategically and globally about entire industries and helps Google define business and operational initiatives that contribute to the company’s growth.
The role: Google Ideas Associate, Business Operations and Strategy
As a Google Ideas Associate in Business Operations and Strategy, you will project manage and support a range of major initiatives by leveraging sound business judgment with your strong technical, problem-solving, communication and analytical skills. You will bring creative and highly technical project management skills and will be highly effective at bringing together non-traditional stakeholders and forging partnerships across sectors, disciplines, and experiences. The major initiatives you will support will be centered around particular global challenges related to democracy, governance and human rights. You will be expected to break through different silos of expertise, methodological approaches, and resources to ensure we take the most comprehensive and inclusive approach to how we think about and act on some of the world’s most complex challenges. You will be able to demonstrate effective leadership, entrepreneurial, and research skills in very different settings and geographic locations around the world. Professionally, you bring demonstrated experience in technology, project management, and startups.
- Manage projects and act as a liaison between technical and non-technical teams, both internally and externally
- Structure complex, ambiguous, and potentially charged business issues for Google's executive team
- Gather and analyze massive amounts of information expeditiously
- Develop compelling, insightful recommendations and ideas and be able to convey them through high-caliber written products
- Influence decision making within senior-level audiences both in/out of the company; position may require interfacing with international leaders on a local and national level
- BA/BS degree preferred with strong academic record; advanced degree and/or technology-related degrees preferred (e.g. Computer Science, Electrical Engineering)
- At least 4 years of post-graduate level experience
- Extensive experience functioning in highly technical environments, technical project management experience a must (hands-on experience preferred)
- Successful track record of bringing together non-traditional stakeholders and building partnerships across sectors, disciplines and experiences, strong preference for candidates with vast international networks of technology professionals and startups
- Background in international relations a plus; travel experience and fieldwork (Middle East, South Asia, Africa, and/or Maghreb preferred); language skills a plus (Arabic, Farsi, and/or Urdu are preferred)
- Extensive background in technology required, candidate must be able to exhibit a strong understanding of engineering to the coding level
- Strong project management and consulting skills in fragile states and conflict zones
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.