July 14, 2011 at 3:55 pm #135529
Job Title: INDUSTRIAL HYGIENIST (Green Environmental Management Systems - GEMS) Coordinator
Department: Department Of Veterans Affairs
Agency: Veterans Health Administration
Job Announcement Number: VZ-11-SCM-502893
SALARY RANGE: $72,907.00 - $94,778.00 /year
OPEN PERIOD: Thursday, July 14, 2011 to Monday, July 25, 2011
SERIES & GRADE: GS-0690-12
POSITION INFORMATION: Full Time Career/Career Conditional
DUTY LOCATIONS: 1 vacancy - Minneapolis, MN
WHO MAY BE CONSIDERED: United States Citizens
VacancyID: 502893 (Include on all documents).
To fulfill President Lincoln's promise – "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" – by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to veterans?
YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE
Every job at the VA impacts the Veterans that we serve. You can be part of that team, helping to make sure that our Veterans receive the top-quality care they deserve.
VA professionals feel good about their careers and their ability to balance work and home life. VA offers generous paid time off and a variety of predictable and flexible scheduling opportunities. For more information on the Department of Veterans Affairs, go to http://www.vacareers.va.gov/.
* You must be a U.S. citizen to apply for this job.
* Subject to a background/suitability investigation.
* Designated and/or random drug testing may be required.
Employee will be assigned to the VA Health Care System, Minneapolis, MN, serving as the Green Environmental Management Systems (GEMS) Coordinator with responsibility for coordinating the development and implementation of the VA GEMS across organizational elements. Duties include, but may not be limited to the following:
* Applies environmental science and technology to demonstrate relationships between the operation of the Health Care System with human health, ecosystems, environmental media, and natural resources; and provides leadership and direction to management professionals and technical personnel regarding the development and implementation of the facility GEMS.
* Plans, organizes, implements, oversees, and provides technical assistance for projects to resolve environmental problems. Assignments include, but are not limited to, domestic and industrial wastewater treatment and disposal; safe drinking water; treatment, storage and disposal of hazardous and non-hazardous solid waste; release of hazardous material/spill response; air pollution control; environmental media permitting; toxic substances; and regulatory oversight. Provides technical expertise for the design, modification, operation, and maintenance of the Health Care System's facilities and infrastructure to ensure compliance with environmental regulations.
* Manages the Health Care System's environmental program(s) and coordinates the efforts of the organizations that relate to environmental matters. Additional responsibilities of the GEMS Coordinator related to management of the VA Medical Center environmental program(s) include, but are not limited to: develops and implements environmental policies, procedures, and systems; advises management on how environmental policies, procedures, and systems will affect the operation of the Health Care System; evaluates, modifies, and implements pollution prevention alternatives at the Health Care System to reduce the generation of all classification of waste (e.g. recyclable, hazardous and non-hazardous); manages and/or provides technical advice regarding response to environmental emergencies including releases/spills of hazardous materials; and manages computer programs and databases to enhance management of environmental programs.
* Serves as a technical expert and program management expert for the health care system, with responsibility for providing leadership guidance, technical assistance, and evaluation for matters involving disposal of decontamination waste water, environmental technology, and compliance including environmental management systems.
* Performs work related to the management and operations of healthcare facilities and programs that are needed to: protect the environment, protect human health from environmental pollution and improve air, land and water resources.
* Plans and manages environmental projects, programs that are related to achieving and
maintaining environmental compliance, as well as develops and implements environmental policy, guidance and procedures related to all environmental media.
* Resolves difficult and complex technical, project management, and organizational problems using innovative and original approaches; and provides expert technical advice and guidance to senior management officials in the appropriate application of technology to the Healthcare System's mission as it relates to environmental issues.
* Serves as Chair of the GEMS Committee.
WORK SCHEDULE: Monday – Friday, 8:00am – 4:30pm.
***RELOCATION EXPENSES AND/OR INCENTIVES ARE NOT AUTHORIZED***
For more information, see http://jobview.usajobs.gov/GetJob.aspx?JobID=100890212&JobTitle=INDUSTRIAL+HYGIENIST+%28Green+Environmental+Management+Systems+-+GEMS%29+Coordinator&x=95&y=13&brd=3876&vw=b&FedEmp=N&FedPub=Y&tm=0&pg=4&re=4&AVSDM=2011-07-14+06%3a56%3a00.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.