July 26, 2011 at 1:03 pm #136516
Department: US General Services Administration
Agency: Federal Acquisition Service
Sub Agency: General Services Administration
Job Announcement Number: 1103076MCDE
$73,408.00 – $95,429.00 /year
Tuesday, July 19, 2011 to Monday, August 01, 2011
SERIES & GRADE:
few vacancies – Philadelphia Metro Area
WHO MAY BE CONSIDERED:
All United States citizens and nationals (residents of American Samoa and Swains Island).
You may have heard GSA called ‘the government’s landlord’, but GSA is about more than just buildings…We’re a vehicle management and acquisition service…a real estate manager…an IT solutions provider…a global supply chain manager…and more! GSA provides innovative solutions for Federal agencies that include products, services, workspace, and expertise to build a more high-performing, efficient, sustainable, and transparent government for the American people. And, since our jobs are as diverse as the services we provide, GSA is a great place to start, build, and expand your career.
GSA has been repeatedly named by the Partnership for Public Service as one of the ‘Best Places to Work in the Federal Government’.
This position is located in the Federal Acquisition Service, Mid-Atlantic Region (Region 3), Network Services Division.
GSA offers its employees a wide range of benefits including:
- Federal health insurance plans (choose from a wide range of plans)
- Life insurance coverage with several options to choose from
- Leave policies to help you take care of your personal, recreational, and health care needs
- Thrift Savings Plan (similar to a 401(k) plan)
- Flexible work schedules and telework
- Transit and child care subsidies
- Training and development
This vacancy is also being announced as Vacancy Announcement Number 1103075MCMP under Merit Promotion regulations. Please review that announcement to see if you are eligible for consideration under Merit Promotion Procedures. Note: You must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered under both procedures.
At this time we are only filling one vacancy, however additional vacancies may be filled from this announcement as needed.
- U.S. Citizenship or National
- Apply online (See How to Apply section.)
Additional Duty Location Info:few vacancies – Philadelphia Metro AreaThis job is not a help desk or typical IT position. In this role,
the employee serves as a telecommunications expert and project
manager, assisting agencies with dialtone and Voice Over Internet
Protocol (VoIP). In addition, the employee acts as a Contracting
Officer’s Technical Representative (COTR) throughout the acquisition
process. Key responsibilities include:
- Serves as a technical consultant to customers and
industry professionals within an assigned geographical area on GSA
provided telecommunications systems, providing in-depth advice and guidance on a wide range of complex IT and telecommunications issues, such as those involving highly technical or functional requirements; sophisticated hardware or software configurations; interconnectivity, installation or implementation issues on a variety of other telecommunications matters.
- Determines customer IT/telecommunications needs, assists with the developoment of statements of work (SOWs), evaluates proposals for the acquisition of new IT/telecom products or services, monitors
installations, and performs testing to determine the quality and
efficiency of IT/telecommunications equipment and software.
further, the employee provides project management oversight.
- Evaluates how best to integrate new technology and/or
changing customer requirements with IT/telecommunications hardware
and software already in place.
- Troubleshoots a variety of network problems such as
potential design flaws, network achitecture matters, topology, or
optimization issues. The employee recommends resolution of complex
issues in these areas, as well as network traffic and/or
configuration, network performance, and similar IT/telecommunications issues.
Qualifications and Evaluations
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:The GS-12 salary range starts at $73,408 per year, if you meet the following qualifications. You must meet all qualification and eligibility requirements within 30 days of the closing date of this announcement.
To qualify, you must demonstrate at at least one year of
specialized experience equivalent to the GS-11 level in the federal
service. Specialized experience includes employment in the
telecommunications field involving a wide range of assignments in
evaluating, analyzing, developing, managing, or improving
communications systems, procedures, and requirements, and applying
knowledge of current developments and trends in communications
concepts and technology.
If selected, you must meet the following conditions:
- Serve a one year probationary period (unless you have previously satisfied this requirement).
- Be able to make a direct deposit of your salary check to a financial organization.
- Males born after December 31, 1959 must have registered with the Selective Service.
- Complete a “Declaration of Federal Employment” (OF-306) to determine suitability for Federal employment.
- Undergo a background security investigation and receive a favorable adjudication. This position has been designated as a public trust position.
- This position may require frequent travel (approximately 20%).
- You may be required to participate in the Region’s Continuity of Operations Plan (COOP), representing the Service and/or GSA as a whole. This may involved participating in COOP meetings and planning activities; performing mission-critical work at a designated location other than the traditional GSA office site (which may be outside of the commuting area); and ensuring that GSA’s needs are still being met in the event of an emergency, disaster or otherwise unforeseen circumstance disrupting traditional office operations.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:The Category Rating procedure is being used to rate candidates. If you are found qualified for the position, your responses to the self assessment vacancy questions will be used to place you in one of the following categories: Qualified, Well-Qualified, Best Qualified. Your responses to the vacancy questions must be supported by your resume or the Human Resources Specialist may adjust your responses lower. Within these categories, applicants eligible for veterans’ preference will receive selection priority over non-veterans. Appropriate documentation must be received to adjudicate veterans’ preference.
You will be evaluated on the vacancy related questions that were designed to assess your overall possession of the following competencies/knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Ability to conduct comprehensive analysis and in-depth studies with a high level of attention to detail on a broad range of IT/network/telecom issues
- Skill in customer service necessary to manage customer relationships in order to provide in-depth advice, assistance, and training to customers on complex IT/network/telecom issues
- Ability to identify complex IT problems, determine accuracy and relevancy of information, and use sound judgment to generate and evaluate solutions
- Skill in project management necessary to order, plan, integrate, configure, and install local and wide area networks
- Ability to communicate effectively to present complex information in a clear and logical manner
- Knowledge of contract administration
A variety of assessments/assessment tools may be used to evaluate candidates for specific vacancies covered by this announcement. Candidates will be notified when further assessments are implemented and provided with instructions on how to access and complete the assessment(s). Be sure to APPLY EARLY as most assessments must be completed fully and submitted before the announcement closing.
If you are an Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan eligible or a GSA Career Transition Assistance eligible, you must be considered well qualified (minimum score or 85) to receive priority. ICTAP/CTAP
To preview questions please click here.
Benefits and Other Info
BENEFITS:GSA offers a comprehensive benefits package. To explore the major benefits offered to most Federal employees, see Benefits.
OTHER INFORMATION:Bargaining Unit status: None
GSA does not accept applications or application materials submitted with Government-paid postage.
Travel, transportation, and relocation expenses are not authorized for this position. Any travel, transportation, and relocation expenses associated with reporting for duty in this position will be the responsibility of the successful applicant.
Additional vacancies may be filled from this announcement as needed. This vacancy announcement does not preclude filling this position by other means. Management also has the right not to fill the position.
How To Apply
HOW TO APPLY:You must submit a complete application including any required documents prior to 11:59 pm Eastern Time on the closing date of the Announcement. Errors or omissions may result in your not being considered for this vacancy. For information on applying for a GSA vacancy, please visit Applying for a GSA Job
We will only consider applications submitted through the online process listed below unless an exception has been approved by a representative of the HR Office listed on this announcement. A description of the online process is provided below:
- Select the “Apply Online” button. Log on to OPM’s USAJOBS to access your existing resume or to create a new one.
- From your account, select which resume you wish to submit. You also have the option of attaching any required documents saved in your USAJOBS account. Click “Apply for this Position Now!”
- You will be redirected to GSA’s automated system, GSAjobs. First time users will be asked to respond to “Account Creation” questions. If you are a return GSAjobs user, click the links on the left to review and update any necessary profile information before continuing on with the application process.
- You will be prompted to respond to “Eligibility Questions” which will be used to determine your eligibility to apply for various types of vacancies. If you are a return user, these fields will pre-populate with your previous responses. Please review and make any necessary changes before proceeding.
- Next, you will be asked to respond to vacancy specific questions regarding your qualifications and the knowledge, skills, abilities, and/or other competencies required to successfully perform this position.
- Submit any required documents (see below). A “Vacancy Documents” page is automatically displayed by the GSAjobs system. Most documents become part of your permanent electronic file and you need to submit them only once unless you wish to update. You can view the Description column next to each form to determine if a previously submitted document is on file. For each document you must submit, select one of the following options in the “Action” column:
- “Upload” – Using the Document Manager, upload document (.gif, .jpeg, .png, .rtf, .pdf, and .doc format only) directly from your computer;
- “USAJOBS” – Using the Document Manager, download a document you previously attached from your USAJOBS account for this vacancy.
- “FAX” – Print the Fax Cover Sheet, then fax cover sheet and document(s) to the listed phone number. We strongly recommend you read the “Fax Instructions” provided on the Document Manager page prior to printing the Fax Cover Sheet and faxing your information.
- At this point, if you are determined to be qualified for the position based upon your previous responses, additional assessment questions may be presented.
- Finally, you’ll receive an Application Review Page which allows you to review the information that will be submitted. You can save a copy of your application by selecting the ‘Save PDF’ button. Click the FINISH button to submit your application.
Note: If you cannot complete any part of the application process listed above, contact the Human Resources Office/representative listed on the announcement prior to the announcement deadline for instructions on how to proceed. Be sure to receive prior HR approval to deviate from these instructions so that your application will be considered.
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS:Please review the following to determine which documents you must submit in order to complete your application.
ICTAP/CTAP Eligible: Submit proof of eligibility including agency notice; SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action (or similar agency form); and most recent performance rating.
Veterans: Submit proof of preference claim (DD214 & SF-15 if applicable; or submit official statement of service if on active duty).
College Transcripts: Submit a photocopy of your college transcript(s) if the qualifications for this announcement have an education requirement, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements. If slected, an official/sealed transcript will be required prior to appointment. For education completed outside the United States, submit a valid foreign credential evaluation. See OPM’s General Policies for information on crediting education.
AGENCY CONTACT INFO:
Phone: (215) 446-4973
Email: [email protected]
General Services Administration
Human Resources Division (CPE)
20 North Eighth Street, 9th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19107
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:If your application is complete, we will review your application to ensure you meet the basic qualification requirements. We will further evaluate each applicant who meets the basic qualifications on the knowledge, skills, abilities, and/or competencies required of the position. Candidates in the highest quality category will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interview. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability and/or security background investigation. A final job offer for this position is typically made within 40 days after the deadline for applications.
Thank you for your interest in working for U.S. General Services Administration!
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.