August 26, 2011 at 1:02 pm #139643
Department: US General Services Administration
Agency: General Services Administration, Office of Communications and Marketing
Sub Agency: General Services Administration
Job Announcement Number: 1100237TC02-DE
$96,867.00 – $125,926.00 /year
Friday, August 12, 2011 to Friday, August 26, 2011
SERIES & GRADE:
few vacancies – San Francisco County, CA
WHO MAY BE CONSIDERED:
All United States citizens and nationals (residents of American Samoa and Swains Island).
You may have heard GSA called ‘the government’s landlord’, but GSA is about more than just buildings….We’re a vehicle management and acquisition service…a real estate manager…an IT solutions provider…a global supply chain manager…and more! GSA provides innovative solutions for Federal agencies that include products, services, workspace, and expertise to build a more high-performing, efficient, sustainable, and transparent government for the American people. Also, since our jobs are as diverse as the services we provide, GSA is a great place to start, build, and expand your career.
There is one vacancy to be filled at this time; however, this announcement may be used for filling similar vacancies in this or other GSA organizations.
This vacancy is also being announced as Vacancy Announcement Number 1100237TC02 under Merit Promotion regulations. Please review that announcement to see if you are eligible for consideration under Merit Promotion Procedures. Note: You must apply separately for each announcement, in order to be considered under both procedures.
GSA has been repeatedly named by the Partnership for Public Service as one of the “Best Places to Work in the Federal Government”.
As a Public Affairs Specialist, you will be responsible for planning, developing, and carrying out programs to disseminate information about the Agency, its programs and policies to the general public, and/or specific audiences through the news media and other communications channels internally and externally.
This position is located in the GSA San Francisco, CA Regional Office, 450 Golden Gate Ave, San Francisco, CA 94102.
GSA offers its employees a wide range of benefits including:
- Federal health insurance plans (choose from a wide range of plans)
- Life insurance coverage with several options to choose from
- Leave policies to help you take care of your personal, recreational, and health care needs
- Thrift Savings Plan (similar to a 401(k) plan)
- Flexible work schedules and telework
- Transit and child care subsidies
- Training and development
- Apply online (See How to Apply Section)
- U.S. Citizenship or National
Additional Duty Location Info:few vacancies – San Francisco County, CAYour major duties are as follows:
- Formulate communication plans and procedures through knowledge of proactive outreach, such as press pitching and target audience outreach.
- Provide key communications advice to management, after researching and evaluating program and/or organizational knowledge to determine effective media outlets.
- Develop and author communication tools, such as talking points, briefing books, speeches, and presentations.
- Present program information to other personnel within or outside the Agency, with varied degrees of comprehension of Agency programs and policies that requires extensive knowledge of and superior skill in writing, grammar utilization, and editing written materials.
- Use project management techniques to ensure events/campaigns are properly coordinated from a quality assurance standpoint.
- Develop communications plans which promote an understanding of GSA programs, including website content and related web 2.0 technology, opinion editorials, news releases, and feature articles.
Qualifications and Evaluations
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:The GS-13 salary range starts at $96,867.00 per year, if you meet the following qualifications. You must meet all qualification and eligibility requirements within 30 days of the closing date of this announcement.
To qualify, you must demonstrate at least 1 year specialized experience equivalent to the GS-12 level in the Federal Service.
Specialized experience is experience planning, developing and executing public affairs and communication strategies for a large organization. This experience must include: analyzing and gathering complex information to provide responses to the news media and the organization’s stakeholders; identifying news opportunities and proposing coverage to the media; writing news releases, fact sheets, briefing materials and position papers intended for print and website publication and broadcast media; and establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with representatives of the media. In addition, your resume must demonstrate experience integrating new media tools including: online video, blogging, micro-blogging and social media tools into public affairs operations for the purpose of communicating major initiatives and increasing sales and business.
If selected, you must meet the following conditions:
- This position requires occasional travel.
- Serve a one year probationary period (unless you have previously satisfied this requirement).
- Be able to make a direct deposit of your salary check to a financial organization.
- Males born after December 31, 1959 must have registered with the Selective Service.
- Complete a “Declaration of Federal Employment” (OF-306) to determine suitability for Federal employment.
- Undergo a background investigation and favorable adjudication. This position has been designated as a Public Trust Position.
- If you are not a current GSA employee, you must complete the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 to determine identity and employment (work status) eligibility. GSA will verify the information through the DHS e-Verify automated system. Any identified discrepancies must be resolved as a condition of continued employment.
- Complete an OGE Form 450, Confidential Financial Disclosure Report, and obtain approval that no conflict or an appearance of conflict exists between your financial interest and this position.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:The Category Rating procedure is being used to rate candidates. If you are found qualified for the position, your responses to the self assessment vacancy questions will be used to place you in one of the following categories: Good, Better, Best. Your responses to the vacancy questions must be supported by your resume or the Human Resources Specialist may adjust your responses lower. Within these categories, applicants eligible for veterans’ preference will receive selection priority over non-veterans. Appropriate documentation must be received to adjudicate veterans’ preference.
You will be evaluated on the vacancy related questions that were designed to assess your overall possession of the following competencies/knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Knowledge of and experience in developing elements used in written materials, such as speeches, opinion editorials, news releases, feature articles, fact sheets, position papers, and/or reports that disseminate information on agency positions, programs, and policies through the news media or to other specific audiences.
- Knowledge of and experience in strategic leverage of print, broadcast and trade, new media, and Web 2.0 to disseminate timely, accurate, and key messages to target audiences.
- Skill in analyzing programs and identifying the characteristics of target audiences and determining the most effective communication techniques to use in reaching these publics.
- Knowledge of the events management process sufficient to evaluate the logistics of a planned event from a quality assurance standpoint and recommend changes, as appropriate.
A variety of assessments/assessment tools may be used to evaluate candidates for specific vacancies covered by this announcement. Candidates will be notified when further assessments are implemented and provided with instructions on how to access and complete the assessments.
If you are an Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan eligible or a GSA Career Transition Assistance eligible, you must be considered well qualified (minimum score or 85) to receive priority. ICTAP/CTAP
To preview questions please click here.
Benefits and Other Info
BENEFITS:GSA offers a comprehensive benefits package. To explore the major benefits offered to most Federal employees, see Benefits.
OTHER INFORMATION:BARGAINING UNIT STATUS: None
Additional vacancies may be filled from this announcement as needed. This vacancy announcement does not preclude filling this position by other means, such as new appointment from an Office of Personnel Management or Delegated Examining list of eligibles, reassignment, transfer, reinstatement, or noncompetitive action. Management also has the right not to fill the position.
Travel, transportation, and relocation expenses are not authorized for this position. Any travel, transportation, and relocation expenses associated with reporting for duty in this position will be the responsibility of the successful applicant.
How To Apply
HOW TO APPLY:You must submit a complete application including any required documents prior to 11:59 pm Eastern Time on the closing date of the Announcement. Errors or omissions may result in your not being considered for this vacancy. For information on applying for a GSA vacancy, please visit Applying for a GSA Job
We will only consider applications submitted through the online process listed below unless an exception has been approved by a representative of the HR Office listed on this announcement. A description of the online process is provided below:
- Select the “Apply Online” button. Log on to OPM’s USAJOBS to access your existing resume or to create a new one.
- From your account, select which resume you wish to submit. You also have the option of attaching any required documents saved in your USAJOBS account. Click “Apply for this Position Now!”
- You will be redirected to GSA’s automated system, GSAjobs. First time users will be asked to respond to “Account Creation” questions. If you are a return GSAjobs user, click the links on the left to review and update any necessary profile information before continuing on with the application process.
- You will be prompted to respond to “Eligibility Questions” which will be used to determine your eligibility to apply for various types of vacancies. If you are a return user, these fields will pre-populate with your previous responses. Please review and make any necessary changes before proceeding.
- Next, you will be asked to respond to vacancy specific questions regarding your qualifications and the knowledge, skills, abilities, and/or other competencies required to successfully perform this position.
- Submit any required documents (see below). A “Vacancy Documents” page is automatically displayed by the GSAjobs system. Most documents become part of your permanent electronic file and you need to submit them only once unless you wish to update. You can view the Description column next to each form to determine if a previously submitted document is on file. For each document you must submit, select one of the following options in the “Action” column:
- “Upload” – Using the Document Manager, upload document (.gif, .jpeg, .png, .rtf, .pdf, and .doc format only) directly from your computer;
- “USAJOBS” – Using the Document Manager, download a document you previously attached from your USAJOBS account for this vacancy.
- “FAX” – Print the Fax Cover Sheet, then fax cover sheet and document(s) to the listed phone number. We strongly recommend you read the “Fax Instructions” provided on the Document Manager page prior to printing the Fax Cover Sheet and faxing your information.
- At this point, if you are determined to be qualified for the position based upon your previous responses, additional assessment questions may be presented.
- Finally, you’ll receive an Application Review Page which allows you to review the information that will be submitted. You can save a copy of your application by selecting the ‘Save PDF’ button. Then, YOU MUST CLICK THE ‘FINISH’ BUTTON to submit your application.
Note: If you cannot complete any part of the application process listed above, contact the Human Resources Office/representative listed on the announcement prior to the announcement deadline for instructions on how to proceed. Be sure to receive prior HR approval to deviate from these instructions so that your application will be considered.
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS:Please review the following to determine which documents you must submit in order to complete your application.
ICTAP/CTAP Eligible: Submit proof of eligibility (e.g., agency notice, most recent performance rating, and SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action (or similar agency form).
Veterans: Submit proof of preference claim (DD214 & SF-15 if applicable; or submit official statement of service if on active duty).
Failure to provide the required documentation, by the closing date of this announcement, may result in your not being considered for the vacancy. NOTE: If these documents don’t apply to you, we do not expect them to be submitted!
AGENCY CONTACT INFO:
Email: [email protected]
General Services Administration
Talent Management Center (CPA)
1500 E. Bannister Road, Room 1118B
Kansas City, MO 64131
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:If your application is complete, we will review your application to ensure you meet the basic qualification requirements. We will further evaluate each applicant who meets the basic qualifications on the knowledge, skills, abilities, and/or competencies required of the position. Candidates in the highest quality category will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interview. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability and/or security background investigation. A final job offer for this position is typically made within 40 days after the deadline for applications.
Thank you for your interest in working for U.S. General Services Administration!
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.