Job Search and Social Networking

Home Forums Careers Job Search and Social Networking

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Tricia 7 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

Henry Brown
    Participant

Interesting discussion started on the Cloud ave blog:

Many people spend a lot of time on Facebook, and in many ways, spending time on Facebook is a great social interchange between friends, family, and people you know. What is well known is that employers, potential or actual also troll your Facebook account.

This morning there was a message on Facebook that made me stop and think for a moment, should we delete our Facebook accounts when we are looking for a job?

There are a lot of reasons for doing this, and while your data is still going to be in Google Cache for a very long time (unless you ask for it to be removed) this might end up being the next “big thing” as people start trying to return to work.

Our study found 70% of surveyed HR professionals in U.S. (41% in the UK) have rejected a candidate based on online reputation information. Reputation can also have a positive effect as in the United States, 86% of HR professionals (and at least two thirds of those in the U.K. and Germany) stated that a positive online reputation influences the candidate’s application to some extent; almost half stated that it does so to a great extent. Source: Microsoft Research

While we do want to be social, there are a ton of reasons not to friend your boss, or in some cases post stuff online that reflect negatively upon you, that does not mean that people still do not pay attention to what they are posting online at all. They do, but the connection between public and private is so blurred by social networking that people are failing to make the connection that what they do privately reflects upon the ethics and morals of the HR person who is trolling Facebook (or any other service for that matter) looking at potential hires. If the HR person does not mind drunken partying – then you might be ok to that HR person.

What we have entered is the reputation economy we are who we are online, because that is what people see. For some who are job seeking that might mean pulling your Facebook profile for a while as they are going about job searching. For others it might mean that they polish up their professional contacts, recommendations on LinkedIn, and otherwise change their image to the simple portrayal of the perfect vision of the “company person”.

This is where this all gets interesting, but even more interesting when people believe that they have to dump their Facebook profile when they start the job search. If anyone else has done this, let’s talk about this here, or on your blog, ping back so I know you are discussing it. This could be an interesting discussion.

Tricia
    Participant

I posted a blog not too long ago on this same thing!: https://www.govloop.com/profiles/blogs/friend-foe-in-todays-social

Kathleen Smith
    Participant

Henry – good discussion. I think that the new Privacy Controls on Facebook will allow you to share information with specific lists of friends, family or colleagues, so you don’t have to dump your whole profile but can segment who gets what information. The challenge is learning how to use the controls.

Tricia
    Participant

Kathleen –

Glad to know these are now features of Facebook – soulnds like people with accounts on this website should definately take the time to learn these controls.

Ed Dodds
    Participant

Do they respond to “reputation” or “content”? I’m attending a virtual event right now on the future employment of ontologists in enterprise IT. Frankly, my concern is that HR spends too little time becoming familiar with the various areas of technology and dismiss postings out of hand due to their ignorance–not the inappropriateness of the candidate’s postings. I remember a site called mybosssucks.com which was taken down (lawyers 😉 which identified individual managers and their poor management practices. I think it is only a matter of time before myHRRepsucks.com emerges–and institutional share holders will begin hold C-Suites accountable if they don’t fix the HR deficiencies.

Henry Brown
    Participant

Suspect that “they” respond to BOTH “reputation” AND “content”. Would hope that the organizational hiring has NOT COMPLETELYoutsourced” the reviewing candidate’s qualifications to the HR department. I know that with several organizations that I have/had a relationship with I could have at least some influence on the HR department’s decision making process, both in the screening process and final decision(s) on hiring.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.