August 8, 2011 at 4:16 pm #137725
Job Title: Volunteer Coordinator
Agency: Smithsonian Institution
Sub Agency: Smithsonian
Job Announcement Number: 11R-MR-296946-DEU-NMNH
SALARY RANGE: $62,467.00 – $81,204.00 /year
OPEN PERIOD: Monday, August 08, 2011 to Friday, August 12, 2011
SERIES & GRADE: GS-1001-11/11
POSITION INFORMATION: Full-Time, Permanent Federal
PROMOTION POTENTIAL: 11
DUTY LOCATIONS: 1 vacancy – Washington DC Metro Area, DC
WHO MAY BE CONSIDERED: This position is open to all U.S. Citizens or U.S. Nationals.
This position is located in Office of Education and Outreach, National Museum of Natural History (NMNH). The employee provides oversight and manages the development, coordination, promotion, implementation, and evaluation of the volunteer program; and works within the Visitor Experience Branch to ensure world-class visitor experiences for the museum’s diverse audiences.
This position requires a Sunday through Thursday tour of duty.
The Smithsonian Institution values and seeks a diverse workforce. Join us in “Inspiring Generations through Knowledge and Discovery.”
* Pass Pre-employment Background Investigation
* May need to complete a Probationary Period
* Maintain a Bank Account for Direct Deposit/Electronic Transfer
* Males born after 12/31/59 must be registered with Selective Service.
* Manages all aspects of the museum’s public-facing volunteers, which includes recruitment, training, and evaluation of volunteers and centralized reporting, communication, and other services throughout out the museum, including web-based volunteers.
* Coordinates the efforts of volunteer coordinators across the museum to ensure continuity of volunteer program standards. Works collaboratively with volunteer coordinators to develop and implement vision for the volunteer program at the NMNH.
* Consults with professional and support staff throughout NMNH to develop projects, tasks, and duties for volunteers in the Office of Education & Outreach, primarily those who directly serve the public, that support the mission and goals of NMNH and the Smithsonian.
* Interviews and evaluates prospective volunteers to identify skills, interests, knowledge, education, and experience. Assigns volunteers to program areas within the museum and recommends a sequence of training based upon their background, interest, and abilities.
* Develops and implements recognition programs and other related activities to acknowledge volunteer contributions to the programs and mission of NMNH.
* Works to promote team cooperation among volunteers and a commitment to the Smithsonian Institution and the NMNH in their facilitation of experiences for the public and support of museum programs. As necessary provides mentorship to ensure that professional needs of volunteers are met.
* Trains interested volunteers to serve as team leaders in providing scheduling assistance, assembling and maintaining timekeeping records, contributing to program development, monitoring online communities, and other tasks suitable for volunteers within the Office of Education & Outreach.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.