January 16, 2011 at 11:59 pm #120551
Cool job –http://newamerica.net/node/39462
http://www.linkedin.com/companies/6961?miniprofile=” id=”yui-gen4″>New America Foundation – Washington D.C. Metro Area
The New America Foundation is seeking a talented, creative, Drupal- and data-savvy individual to help build and launch a new project focused on savings and international development. This person will be part of a small, interdisciplinary team within New America’s Global Assets Project, and will work with a wide range of NGOs and for-profit institutions to develop a shared and interactive information commons on savings products for the poor.
Do you get your hands dirty with Drupal and other open-source projects? Do you understand the power of a great API, and the stories that a good dataset can tell? Are you excited by cool data visualizations, and think that smart technology can make public policy better? If so, we’d like to talk.
This is a 10-month, contract position with full benefits, and the possibility of extension or conversion to a permanent position. For examples of New America’s other data-driven work, seehttp://febp.newamerica.net and http://pakistansurvey.org.
- Assist with requirements gathering, analysis and design.
- Assess the viability of Drupal, GeoServer, MediWiki, and other open-source tools as platforms for this project—identifying what can be accomplished with pre-existing code, and where custom development is required.
- Translate project goals and stakeholder priorities into an appropriate data structure.
- Develop the proper mix of user-entry, bulk importing, and RDF-driven remote-data queries, then work with colleagues and partners to take full advantage of those tools.
- Take the lead on building out and maintaining the website, working closely with outside developers and with new-media colleagues in New America’s Media & Communications Department.
- Assist with other New America web efforts as appropriate.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- At least 2–3 years of relevant experience—must have worked on complex, data-intensive projects.
- Solid understanding of Drupal—both the technology and the community.
- PHP proficiency, ideally within a GNU/Linux, Apache, and MySQL environment.
- Working knowledge of RDF and the open-data landscape.
- Experience with JQuery, CSS, OpenLayers, and other visualization tools preferred.
- Ability to juggle multiple priorities and tasks effectively.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Intellectual curiosity, proven problem-solving skills, and a collaborative work style are essential.
Email a resume and a brief cover letter summarizing your interests and qualifications to: Human Resources, New America Foundation, 1899 L Street, NW, Suite 400, Washington, DC 20036. Fax: 202-986-3696. E-mail: [email protected]. Be sure to include links to relevant work with your application.
Please state “Web Developer and Data Wrangler, SPINNAKER Project” in the e-mail subject line. No phone calls.
Salary package commensurate with experience; excellent benefits. The New America Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.
The New America Foundation is a nonprofit, nonpartisan public policy institute that invests in new thinkers and new ideas to address the next generation of challenges facing the United States.
New America emphasizes work that is responsive to the changing conditions and problems of our 21st Century information-age economy — an era shaped by transforming innovation and wealth creation, but also by shortened job tenures, longer life spans, mobile capital, financial imbalances and rising inequality.
The foundation’s mission is animated by the American ideal that each generation will live better than the last. That ideal is today under strain. Our education and health care systems are struggling with problems of quality, cost and access. The country requires creative means to address its fiscal challenges and pay for needed public, social and environmental investments. Abroad, the United States has yet to fashion sustainable foreign and defense policies that will protect its citizens and interests in a rapidly integrating world.
Too often, these challenges have proven impervious to conventional party politics and incremental proposals. With an emphasis on big ideas, impartial analysis and pragmatic solutions, New America invests in outstanding individuals whose ability to communicate to wide and influential audiences can change the country’s policy discourse in critical areas, bringing promising new ideas and debates to the fore.
Launched in 1999, the foundation was guided through a period of rapid growth by founding president Ted Halstead. The institute is now led by President Steve Coll and an outstanding Board of Directors, chaired by Eric Schmidt. New America is headquartered in Washington D.C. and also has a significant presence in California, the nation’s largest laboratory of democracy.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.