KPI’s for delivery of municipal services

Home Forums Miscellaneous KPI’s for delivery of municipal services

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Steve Ressler 7 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

Victor S. Paola
    Participant

Hi All,

We are in the process of upgrading our CRM and are taking the opportunity to start producing some relevant reports for council. I am hoping to tie KPI’s to the City’s Strategic mission, vision, values (i.e. actually measuring “efficient and cost effective service delivery”).

Would anyone be willing to share what data they present to their respective councils? What is your most popular, sought after report that drives changes to the way services are delivered?

Thanks!

Victor

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Just posted it in a few different groups for feedback.

I’ve always found with similar reports it’s great to have KPI and quantitative data mixed with some qualitative – a few quotes and a few pictures of great service delivery go along way as well.

What I’d look for is:

-# of requests

-Services delivered

-Requests/activities by channel (phone, in-person, web)

-# of Outstanding requests

-Cost per transaction/delivery

What KPIs are you thinking about?

Jacob Anderson
    Participant

This is kind of the Holy Grail for efficiency, isn’t it? I’ve been looking for a gold standard of KPI’s for local govt for a while… I came across the National Center for Public Productivity in my searches, and it seems like a good place to start. http://spaa.newark.rutgers.edu/home/ncpp.html

Good luck. If you want to chat more about KPI’s, I’d be interested in further conversation. It’s kind of crucial to providing and demonstrating efficiency.

Victor S. Paola
    Participant

all of the above as well as time to completion for various service requests, and how many hands are in the pot (to highlight possible opportunities to streamline)

Victor S. Paola
    Participant

Thanks for the link, Jacob. I agree it is crucial and, in my view lacking. One of the major stumbling blocks I’ve encountered has to do with the integrity of the data. My department takes and enters service requests from citizens. These service requests go to the business units and/or line departments to action. The difficulty is there is no corporate standard for basic measures such as when a request is considered “complete”. Some departments close the call when it has been referred to a contractor. Others close it as soon as it gets to them from us, while others close the call when the citizen’s request has actually been fulfilled.

My concern is that without standardizing how we measure, we are losing out on critical insights that would drive efficiency.

Gerald Young
    Participant

Victor,

Yes, standardizing the measures is key, and the data collection needs to be done consistently from year to year, even as the staff involved may change. The ICMA Center for Performance Measurement works to provide agreed-upon definitions for participating jurisdictions (e.g., with tasks considered complete when the end-customer has been served, not when a case is referred to another department). Many of those jurisdictions then link their KPIs to strategic plan goals and budget documents. For examples, please review the data reporting and planning links at the bottom of the page for the CPM Certificates in Performance Measurement.

Gerald Young, ICMA

Victor S. Paola
    Participant

Thanks Gerald! Much appreciated

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.