Landing a job – Any tips?

Home Forums Careers Landing a job – Any tips?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Steve Ressler 5 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

Cynthia Hinkle
    Participant

I wanted to reach out to the community and see if any one had tips for landing a government job. I would ideally like to work in the DC area and have been applying for multiple positions. Just like any job hunt it is a long road.

I was hoping someone would have some tips for obtaining a government position. I have been out of college now for two years having graduated with management, marketing, and healthcare management degrees. I am currently working in commercial property mangement, but desire a government position.

Thank you in advance for your time and help.

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster
    Couple tips
    -Take a look at the entry level jobs on our jobs.govloop.com site & sign up for our weekly top 10 entry level openings email in the top left
    -Check out our Rock Your Resume group w/ federal resume tips – https://www.govloop.com/group/rockyourresume

Cynthia Hinkle
    Participant

Thank you!

-I am registered for the career fair. I am excited to learn about everything it has to offer.

-I am going to keep checking out the entry-level jobs that open up. I did not know about the email for the top 10 entry level jobs. I will have to sign up for that.

-I went to the group Rock Your Resume and sent in a request for access. I am very interested in seeing what tips they have for resumes. My problem could be something as simple as correcting some formatting on my resume.

Thank you for writing back to me about these tips. If anyone else has anything they would like to share about how they landed a federal job I would be excited to hear from their experience.

Rachel Evans
    Participant

This applies to more than just government jobs, and I’m sure you have heard this before, but make sure you modify your app and resume for each open position. This cannot be stressed enough. Almost every organization uses technology to first scan candidates against the required skillset. If the open position asks for a “certificate in HR” or “PHR Certificate” but your resume/app says “HR certificate” or “Professional in Human Resources Certificate” you could lose out on an opportunity to even get your resume/app in front of the hiring manager even though you are qualified. This is one of the biggest things I have seen that prevents people from getting interviews or getting their foot in the door.

Cynthia Hinkle
    Participant

Rachel,

Thank you again for the reminder about how important it is to personalize one’s resume. I have tried to do that as much as possible, but you did bring up one really good point when you said ” If the open position asks for a “certificate in HR” or “PHR Certificate” but your resume/app says “HR certificate” or “Professional in Human Resources Certificate” you could lose out on an opportunity to even get your resume/app in front of the hiring manager even though you are qualified.” It was a very good reminder for me that word order can be just as important as content.

Thank you!

David B. Grinberg
    Participant

Cynthia: here are a few tidbits of advice which may be useful:

1) Narrow your focus to choose specific agencies, subcomponents, and positions for which you are interested and well qualified. Be prepared to explain how your unique and specific skillset can benefit the agency and help meet its mission.

2) Network, network, network — with as many people as possible, as much as possible, who can potentially help you — including HR folks and feds at the agencies you’re targeting. Ask for informational interviews to get better acquainted. Leave no stone unturned. Get involved with groups and associations related to the agency or job you want. Then you will be well positioned if and when a slot opens.

3) Be persisent to the max. Knock on doors. Let people know who you are and what your goals are. Get specific recommendations from your prior employers, professors, etc. Ask them to help you. The worst they can say is no. Don’t give up.

4) The intangible factors usually make a big difference, such as luck and timing — which may be out of your control.

5) Be positive and upbeat. Always keep “your eyes on the prize” so to speak, and maintain a positive outlook.

Hope this helps.

DBG

Cynthia Hinkle
    Participant

David,

These are wonderful tips! Thank you for your time and thoughtful responses. I am going to work more on narrowing down to specific industries. I know I am passionate about healthcare, social awarness, and conservation. I have been getting better with networking, but I will continue to find new people to network with. I will continue to keep my “eyes on the prize” and be persistent.

Thank you again! This was very helpful.

Cynthia

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.