Legacy System Replacement Practices

Home Forums Technology Legacy System Replacement Practices

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Steve Ressler 4 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

Assia Alexandrova

The topic of legacy systems in government is fascinating! In my own practice in County government I witnessed numerous times how business processes are often workarounds to the limitations of old systems. And then I saw how the new applications that replace them tend to replicate them and use their specs as requirements!

But enough about me. This all became the topic of my PhD research – I am investigating how requirements for e-gov systems are derived from legacy tools and processes, and I am developing a game (yes, a game) as a way to analyse which requirements are ‘true’ requirements and which come out of our legacy system habits. My first step is a survey, which I would be more than grateful if you fill out, but there are other methods I am employing as well – one-on-one qualitative interviews on the subject, and later on — a hands-on evaluation of the game prototype. Of course, I am interested in your thoughts in any shape or form.

SO, here is the survey: http://feedback.miamidade.gov/Community/se.ashx?s=57F3145831C4F979

(thanks in advance! if you know a colleague who has dealt with this in depth, please forward to them). I will share the results here in govloop as well.

Of course, if you are interested in the nitty-gritty of my thesis proposal – just let me know, and I will forward some papers.

Assia Alexandrova

(Miami-Dade County, Florida / Open University, UK)

Steve Ressler

Ooh love it. Very cool.

Kim Truong

A LOT of folks are looking into replacing antiquated systems! Good luck with this research and looking forward to reading your findings.

Scott Kearby

Legacy systems seem to become entangled in an organization. We are often held hostage by a system that functions in an inefficient and limited way because we cannot or will not make the jump to a new system. We want a painless effortless transition … but there is no such thing!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.