Loss of a co-worker – Time to reflect

Home Forums Miscellaneous Loss of a co-worker – Time to reflect

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Steve Ressler 7 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

Amanda Blount
    Participant

On December 1st, we lost a very wonderful young lady in our office building who was always smiling and just “doing her thing”. She was killed in a car crash and it has been very hard for all of us to get through her not being here any longer. I don’t want to bring anyone down at all during this time of year, but I wanted to tell you why this moment made me realize why I love being a Government employee.

When my co-worker died, I was in school. First thing that you must realize, this person was not a direct co-worker at this moment, but because many Government employees stick around for many years, we have been friends and we had worked together years ago. Our lives crossed many times. We shared memories of the good and the bad – Just as many of us Government employees do. This is one thing I love about being a Government employee; we work together for some time, then we move on, but we still stay in touch and stay family. We grow and we fly, but we still come back to our friends. We all live through the CRAs. We live through presidents changing things every time a new political group takes over. We share all the hardships. But, no matter what happens, we Government employees are always right here making things happen, no matter what.

When she died I asked for time away, but I could not be released without failing the class, because I was not family. Family? In our building we have many offices, but today, during our Christmas party, there was no less than 5 family members of hers who work with us, plus all of us who knew her for years. We spend more time together than I spend with my own sisters. Today, we all hugged, and shared our meal, and we all were sad together. We were all sad for her, and we were there to be with her family who are now just showing the signs of smiles. We hug, and we cry, and we just hang on together through the good and the bad. Enemies took the moment to shake hands, leaders took the moment to make sure the employees were doing ok, and everyone else just continued to do what we do. I also want to say, she was not liked by all. I do not point that out as a “hit” but as a reality. When you are in a big family, even brother and sisters have arguments and disagreements. But, that make us no less family. We all can’t get along all the time. That would be boring. We disagree, and we argue. But, deep down, everyone loved my friend and co-worker and everyone hated to see her go. We are all here as a family just trying to survive. We sometimes forget that all of our “family” members are trying to do the same thing.

The one great thing as a Government employee (as I pointed out the other day to two people still arguing over something from 10 years ago), is that we know each other well enough, and we are together long enough, to feel comfortable to have a fall out, and hopefully we will be together long enough to make up.

We Government employees are here for so long it is insane how long some people have been in the same chair all these years. Some people get married, have children, and then grandchildren, while serving in the same position. My friend had her same job for over 5 years. It would have been longer if fate would have allowed it. How do I know that? I have known her for at least that time, and I knew exactly where she worked and what she did. She loved her job and the people we worked with. We all knew her better than most people know there own families. Look around your office. It is the same in many Government buildings. No matter how dysfunctional we are, we are family.

Through it all, we Government employees are family through and through.

And since I promised this was not something to bring everyone down… I want to remind everyone that since you are my family, I would like a WII for Christmas! 🙂

Merry Christmas to all my extended Government Family!

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

And Merry Christmas to you Amanda. I feel for you and your colleagues. We spend so much time over the years getting to know each other that they become family. And like family we have disagreements, everyone has quirks, but deep down inside we all care. Sorry about your loss and let’s hope you get that Wii 🙂

Sam Allgood
    Participant

Thanks for sharing, Amanda.

And here’s your WII (or Wee):

It was a romantic full moon when Pedro said, “Hey, mamacita, let’s do Weeweechu.”

Oh no, not now, let’s look at the moon!” , said Rosita.

Oh, c’mon baby, let’s you and I do Weeweechu. I love you and it’s the perfect time,” Pedro begged.

“But I wanna just hold your hand and watch the moon.” , replied Rosita.

“Please, corazoncito, just once, do Weeweechu with me.”

Rosita looked at Pedro and said, “OK, one time, we’ll do Weeweechu.”

Pedro grabbed his guitar and they both sang…..

“Weeweechu a Merry Christmas, Weeweechu a Merry Christmas, Weeweechu a Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year.”

Amanda Blount
    Participant

Thank you! That is so funny! Now that made my day! I love little puppies!

Amanda Blount
    Participant

Thank you Steve.

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Awesome picture…

Lori Zipes
    Participant

Sam, this is adorable and very funny. You gave me a good chuckle on my first morning back. Thanks and happy 2010 to all.

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

I know..hilarious.

Emi Whittle
    Participant

Many sympathies to you and your co-workers and her family. Always tough when we are abruptly reminded that our time here is limited and we really don’t know exactly when the timer will go off….. we can just do the best we can with the time we have…

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.