Managing Emotions

Home Forums Leadership and Management Managing Emotions

This topic contains 16 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Amanda Blount 8 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

Matthew
    Participant

Hi!

I’m designing a course on managing emotions, and would like to use the opportunity to demonstrate two things:

1) the techniques every day people like you and me use to manage our emotions at work, and
    2) the power of asking open-ended questions in appropriate online forums.

Sooo – what techniques do you use to manage your emotions and stress in the workplace? Post your reply here. As a special thanks, I’ve included this FREE stress reduction kit. Please use it responsibly.

(via http://tinyurl.com/npcaaf)

Amanda Blount
    Participant

CHOCOLATE! πŸ™‚

Diana Louise Morgan
    Participant

According to emotion regulation theory, individuals may regulate their emotions at several points in the emotion process. If we apply this to the work setting, we can think of the process generally in the following way. The job environment or a particular work event may induce an emotion response in the employee (i.e. anger, sadness, anxiety), and behaviors may follow that would be inappropriate for the encounter (i.e. verbal attack, giving “a” look, displaying emotional distress, complaining). Because the display rules state that such reactions are not appropriate, emotional labor regulates his or her response. This regulation involves modifying feelings by “thinking good thoughts” or reappraising the event (deep acting), or modifying expression by faking or enhancing facial and bodily signs of emotion (surface acting) (Grandy, A., 2000)
    What I tend to do in response in my work environment when emotions are at a heightened level is to fake facial expressions. When away from my work environment, I use the support of friends and family to vent, so that I can work through emotions being experienced at work

Matthew
    Participant

Thanks, both!

Hi, Mathew, very interesting exercise. πŸ™‚

Recently one local Tv channel interviewed me about this topic because the segment was related with the employees’ stress and the abusive employer. I mentioned some tips I believe “help us” to reduce the workplace stress but until today I continue looking for a formula resolve it. From my point of view we have to learn how to:
    1. Focus on the positive. Feeding your mind with negative feelings and ideas cannot help us to eliminate the stress.
    2. Reduce caffeine and sugar. They help us for some hours but after it we can crash in mood and energy.
    3. Do exercise. Sometimes we can walk at the office parking lot.
    4. Sleep the necessary hours to help your body and your mind.
    5. Take your lunch out of your office and avoid to talk about issues related with your work.

Good question!

Martha Ayerdis

Matthew
    Participant

Great advice! Thanks πŸ™‚

Rebecca Monroe
    Participant

I ask the emotion be removed with the understanding it is a false feeling based on false information. Any emotion given validity and then examined will continue to return in different forms. Remove anger from your life by deciding it has no value and the things that supposedly ‘generated’ the anger, vanish. The anger was justifying the events. The events weren’t justifying the anger.

Geri Johnson
    Participant

Placing individuals in supervisory / management positions who actually possess supervisory / management (and people) skills would go a LONG way toward establishing / maintaining a cordial environment in the federal workplace to begin with!

Bill Betts
    Participant

I often play whiffleball at lunch.
    I try to be sure to take a lunch.
    I have certain people to whom I vent.
    I take a walk.
    I write a memo outlining my concerns and what can be done about them.

Bill Betts
    Participant

AMEN!

Matthew
    Participant

Hi, folks. Thanks for all of your responses on this. While I can’t release the facilitator guide because of program requirements, I’d like to provide each of you with a copy of the participant guide as a small thank-you. You can download it at http://files.me.com/mtthwdyr/n3wcrm

Thanks again for your willingness to share your thoughts – you played a part in making this course a success.

Best,

Matthew

Matthew
    Participant

Thanks, John!

Matthew
    Participant

Thanks! It didn’t quite convert to pdf as clearly as I would’ve liked, but for the intention of giving folks a preview, I think it turned out okay, too πŸ™‚

Emi Whittle
    Participant

Having a spot to aim at will greatly reduce my stress! Thanks! πŸ™‚

Matthew
    Participant

Glad I could help. You know, I’m all about the little things πŸ˜‰

Erica A Morin
    Participant

First, it is important for me to determine if the situation is “emotional” or “passionate”. Emotional means a loss of control whereas passionate mean that you feel very strongly about a topic but are in control of those feelings. If someone says to me “stop acting so emotional” or “you’re acting emotional (which is usually followed by “it’s not personal”), my first thought is “am I emotional or am I passionate?”. This forces me to really consider what I am talking about and that causes me to slow down and that gets the hightened “emotion” out of the equation.

If I realize that I am not passionate about the topic – that I am in fact emotional – then I can see that it is usually a result of frustration at the other person’s response, attitude, mis-understanding, etc and I have to consider how to reconnect to that person usually with active listening skills. If I realize that I am passionate, then my first response to the other person is just that, “I am not emotional – I am passionate about x. Why aren’t you?” This then forces that person to consider their take on the topic and giving us breathing time. I have found this to diffuse a situation rather quickly for me.

However, if the passion or the emotion is too much, I simply “pick a new personna” to play for a while. I have been a professional presenter/instructor for a long time, and I sometimes can’t remember who the “real me” is due to all the different “personna” I have developed over the years to match situations. I like to think of myself as a good book with lots of good content if anyone could get past the dust cover. So, I just slip on a “dust cover personna” that is more appealing to the audience and make them more receptive to what I have to offer.

Mark Van Alstyne
    Participant

In particularly stressful situations:
    Remember to breathe – take several slow, deep breaths – in though the nose, and out the mouth.
    Remember to center yourself – pray, go to your quiet place – whatever.
    Remember it’s not about you – it’s about situations or behaviors.
    Remember to listen – people want to be heard and acknowledged.
    Remember to be fair, yet be firm.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.