Measuring Productivity

Home Forums Miscellaneous Measuring Productivity

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Henry Brown 5 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

Henry Brown
    Participant

NOT sure that a significant percentage of workers would have much interest in actual measurement of the various activities that comprised the “work-day”, and not certain that management would be able to use this kind of information in a non-punitive manner to increase team productivity but…

from Wall Street Journal:

Imagine how much better workers could do their jobs if they knew exactly how they spend their day.

Suppose they could get a breakdown of how much time they spend actually working on their computer, as opposed to surfing the Web. Suppose they could tell how much an afternoon workout boosts their productivity, or how much a stressful meeting raises their heart rate.

Henry Brown
    Participant

Interesting spin off by Gartner Network blogger Craig Roth

What is the Correct Percentage of Time to Goof Off at Work?

I’m still waiting for someone to take a shot at answering the question “What is the Correct Percentage of Time to Goof Off at Work?” It may sound like a silly question (and I’ve purposely worded it in the extreme to make the point easier to see), but I’m amazed and the way it haunts so many other serious productivity issues. It’s really a question about the appropriate level of pacing for employees, with the assumption that 0% breaktime results in poor performance (assuming the employee doesn’t walk out the door!).

Corey McCarren
    Participant

I think time taken for water-cooler buzz, ect, would depend on the employee. Some people hyper-concentrate for two hours then need 10 to re-energize, whereas other people will work 5 hours straight no problem but at a slower pace. If we assume everybody is the same then very few people will reach their maximum personal ROI. We may get a decent average ROI, but I don’t think restricting employees to ensure mediocre results is good business.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.