Millenials Like Their Bosses Better Than Generation X or Boomers

Home Forums Human Resources Millenials Like Their Bosses Better Than Generation X or Boomers

This topic contains 12 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Michele Costanza 7 years ago.

• Author

Bill Brantley
    Participant

Check out the graph and sidebar discussion. So Millennials are better at following orders?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704865704575610473959680264.html?mod=WSJ_Careers_CareerJournal_4

Michele Costanza
    Participant

A person born in 1982, graduated from college at the age of 21 or 22 would have roughly less than 10 years of work experience. What comparison would they have between a good boss or a bad boss?And what is the point again? More marketing to show why employers should hire those under the age of 25? Cheaper labor?

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Fascinating…maybe those new to the workforce have lower expectations?

Tricia
    Participant

Perhaps the economy plays a part. I would imagine that college graduates (or those opting to join the ranks of the employed) are happy to have a job in these scary/crazy times. There’s so much competition for jobs these days, and I think colleges/universities are trying to prepare and assist graduates (better than they have in years past) with the tough job search. This includes educating them as to how the workplace is in this tough economic climate — there’s so many overqualified people willing to take positions they wouldn’t ordinarily cosider, which makes it tougher for those entering the workforce (or with 3 or less yrs. of work exp).

Bill Brantley
    Participant

What surprised me about this were two things:

1) The lowest scores of approval were from the Baby Boomers.
    2) Everything I have read on this subject says that Millennials and Boomers would get along better than Generation X and the Boomers. But the scores are almost the same for Xers and Millennials.

Bill Brantley
    Participant

@Michele – The actual point of the article is that over-qualified folks will start switching jobs once the economy improves. Not a very profound point but I was attracted by the poll which seemed to contradict conventional wisdom on the generations. What does it mean? I have no idea.

Good point on if Millennials have enough experience to determine what makes a good boss. I can say that from my personal experience working my first few jobs, I could quickly tell what makes a bad boss! 🙂

Michele Costanza
    Participant

More baby boomers are probably in positions where they are over qualified or maybe have seen there life savings take a serious hit.

Peter Sperry
    Participant

It really should not be too surprising to find data that contradicts conventional wisdom on generations since 1. generations themselves are artificial constructs with little real meaning (ex. Boomers cover roughly 1945 to 1965 so they hardly have common life experiences) and 2. most “conventional” wisdom regarding generations is nonsense developed by advertisers and consultants trying (successfully) to sell marketing campaigns and HR seminars to gullible clients.

Michele Costanza
    Participant

I meant “their” life savings, not there.

Bill Brantley
    Participant

@Peter – I agree with you on your two points. I just find it ironic that when actual research is applied to the issue the results contradict the conventional wisdom as promulgated by the popular books and consultants. But I am certain there will be an explanation and I can attend a seminar to set me right on how to think about the generations. 🙂

Peter Sperry
    Participant

Bill — Thank you for reminding me about the books. Can’t forget critical sources of revenue when developing BS theories of generational interaction.

I would be curious to see a longitudinal study that asked these questions of the various generations over, say, a period of 60 years.

Is there just something about being young that allows a person to see the world through a more positive lens?

Not enough time for decades in the working world to get a person down?

As for the Boomers, I suppose many are feeling disappointed by the sour economy as they approach retirement and a little bitter that their retirement dates have been pushed back a few years?

Laura A. Hall
    Participant

Maybe it’s because we GenXers are the bosses of the millenials?! And clearly we are great bosses!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.