Millennial Monday: Are the Presidential Debates Boring You?

Home Forums Miscellaneous Millennial Monday: Are the Presidential Debates Boring You?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Debra Yamanaka 7 years ago.

• Author

Allison Primack
    Participant

In an opinion piece on CNN.com, millennial Valerie Kaur shared why she, and fellow millennials, are finding the presidential debates boring.

The main problem, she explained, is that the candidates are not addressing all the issues that millennials are concerned about. They address economic reform, but not the immigrant reform issues that affect it. They address healthcare issues, but ignore women’s rights.

Millennials make up 24% of the electorate, yet only 18% of millennials are following the election closely, and 63% of millennials are registered to vote. Valerie pointed out that while she doesn’t think millennials are “giving up”, she thinks its hard for millennials to be part of the political process without knowing what candidates think about the topics they care about.

Millennials – are the presidential debates boring you? What issues do you want the candidates to discuss?

Millennial Monday is a series by Young Government Leaders (YGL) that discusses leadership, management, and skills needed for the next generation of public servants. To get involved in YGL or learn more, please follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, join us on LinkedIn, and/or check out our website!

Debra Yamanaka
    Participant

I don’t think this issue is limited to Millennials!

Everyone should vote. It’s not just a right, it’s a responsibility. But it does seem like an awful lot of work (even to this “old” Gen-X’er) to go through the process of voting when none of the election conversation seems to be around issues that you *really* care about.

And to that I say “Shame on the candidates.”

David Dejewski
    Participant

I am not a Millennial, but I am bored with / disinterested in the debates. It’s more of a popularity contest than a meaningful debate over issues. How much of this rhetoric will find it’s way into resource decisions and action? How much of it really matters even if it does?

The economic issue is on everyone’s mind, but it’s something that began long before either of these two candidates, it’s not something that lives in the White House, and it’s an issue that will take more than a Presidential election to fix.

David B. Grinberg
    Participant

Great questions, Allison!

What do Millennials — and others — think about this one:

What type of moderator matters most?

Pattie Buel
    Participant

Debate is much more interesting so far when i grab the iPad, pull up Twitter and follow #debate while I watch.

Will be watching tonight to see who, if anyone, actually answers the question that is asked.

Joe Williams
    Participant

I concur – this issues is not limited to Millennials! The debates strike me as a forum for “one-upsmanship” and stretching the truth, so I haven’t bothered to watch them.

Jeff S
    Participant

Personally commercials and campaigning should start no more than a month prior to the vote. I decided who to vote for six months ago and now have to deal with all the BS till November 6.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.