Millennial Monday: Effective Teamwork with Millennials

Home Forums Leadership and Management Millennial Monday: Effective Teamwork with Millennials

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Ami Wazlawik 7 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

Allison Primack
    Participant

Last week we discussed how to manage Millennials. But say you are not in charge of a Millennial – you work alongside one.

When working in teams, it is valuable to have members with different skills and strengths. However, in order to keep everyone sane, it is crucial for everyone to be aware of the other’s work habits and routines.

In many government offices, it is not abnormal to have team members from several generations working together, so I am wondering:

Have you been on a team with a Millennial? Has it been different than working on a team with an older govie? How so?

Millennials – what should others know about your teamworking skills and habits? What makes you thrive on teams?

Millennial Monday is a series by Young Government Leaders (YGL) that discusses leadership, management, and skills needed for the next generation of public servants. To get involved in YGL or learn more, please follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, join us on LinkedIn, and/or check out our website!

Ami Wazlawik
    Participant

I do best in teams where everyone is open and honest about their abilities and work habits. When team members really listen to one another and provide constructive criticism things seem to flow well. Also, we’ve all worked with our share of slackers – my best team experiences have been those in which folks carry their weight, and let others know if they’re overwhelmed so we can all shift workload accordingly.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.