Millennial Monday: Have You Committed a Millennial Mistake in an Interview?

Home Forums Miscellaneous Millennial Monday: Have You Committed a Millennial Mistake in an Interview?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Hannah Ornell 7 years ago.

• Author

Allison Primack
    Participant

An article recently published in Forbes claims that older workers have an edge over younger workers in today’s job market. According to a survey of 501 hiring managers indicated that they are THREE TIMES MORE LIKELY to hire a worker who is 50+ years old, than a millennial!

Why do recruiters feel this way? These are the Top 5 Interview Mistakes Millennials Make according to the survey:

1. Wearing inappropriate interview attire

2. Have posted questionable social media content

3. Haven’t done their research

4. Don’t ask enough questions

5. Overconfident in themselves

Millennials – are you guilty of committing any of these interview mistakes? Did you mistake(s) cost you a job?

Hiring managers – do you have any tips for avoiding these mistakes? What do you look for in Millennials?

Millennial Monday is a series by Young Government Leaders (YGL) that discusses leadership, management, and skills needed for the next generation of public servants. To get involved in YGL or learn more, please follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, join us on LinkedIn, and/or check out our website!

Hannah Ornell
    Participant

I don’t think I’m guilty of any of these 5 (hopefully!), but I definitely could see this list being true, particularly the point about social media. We’re in a more digital age than ever, and millennials need to be careful of what they put on social media sites. Right around the time my peers reached junior/senior year of college, a lot of their facebook names changed from their full name to their first and middle name to make them less searchable to employees. Unfortunately for the millennials, not enough people do this and their questionable content could be costing them a job!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.