Motivate Me!!! Tips For Getting Butts Into Gear?

Home Forums Human Resources Motivate Me!!! Tips For Getting Butts Into Gear?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Jeanette Perez 7 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

Stephen Peteritas
    Participant

Everyone wants to work in a fun workplace but a lax culture can cause issues, most notably a lack of urgency. Most of us aren’t curing cancer at work but ultimately the goal of work is to actually work.

You can always set deadline after deadline, with consequences for not hitting them but people tend to work better when there’s a system of trust rather than the alternative.

I know it’s nearly impossible as a manager to get everyone to pull the exact same weight but what are you tips and tricks for motivating a team… specifically a younger one?

Let me hear your tips!!!

Jeanette Perez
    Participant

I don’t know exactly what kind of work your employees do but you can offer rewards like gift cards, movie tickets, restaurant gift cards and they don’t have to be that much. Or offer an extended 30 min lunch, I’ve heard of companies doing that too..For example: you can say if they complete so many tasks in a specific amount of time, they will receive a gift card. Your employees will find themselves competing. And there’s nothing wrong with asking them as well, you’re showing that they have your attention..GOOD LUCK!

Terrence Hill
    Participant

You shouldn’t have to “trick” someone into performing well, or bribe them with gift cards and trinkets (even if you had a budget for such niceties). I recommend that you allow employees to make progress in meaningful work. Give them responsibility for substantive projects that allows them to make in impact on the organization and work directly with high level executives. Give them the tools they need to be successful, allow them to be creative in their solution, and support them, recognizing their contribution to the organization. It’s that “simple.” I recommend reading the book “The Progress Principle” for more information.

Patrick Fiorenza
    Participant

I think it requires clear communication across the team and knowing what motivates the team – everyone is going to be motivated different ways, and the more you can align to common goals, vision and work collaboratively, the more people are going to feel empowered and that their work is valued. Along with the clear team goals, i think it is super important for personal assessments and personal goals that are created between employee/manager – you need the high level team goals and then the personal goals to help people see value/growth/etc.

Tracey Harriot
    Participant

I definitely agree with this. Motivation is a tricky thing, but if supervisors can figure out how each employee is motivated, they’re more likely to see results. One of my professors once pointed out that the golden rule should be thrown out the window. What works for me doesn’t necessary work for others. So do not treat others as you wish to be treated, but rather as they wish to be treated. That one really stuck with me.

Give ’em challenging work and give them plenty of room to run with a clear target and the right amount of feedback along the way.

Bill Brantley
    Participant

It starts with the hiring. If a person doesn’t have a passion for the work then external motivation will do little. But, if the person is self-motivated, then just be a servant-leader and get out of the way.

Eric R. Payne
    Participant

Mastery, Autonomy, Purpose.

I didn’t discover this model until mid-way through my career but as as I looked back at the highly functional teams I led or was a part of, these three elements were key. I now try to employ them in all situations. It’s done through conversations, communications, hard thinking, and job flexibility.

I then enter into a sort of negotiation around — “Here’s the work I need from you…..here’s what I can provide (mastery, autonomy, purpose)”

http://www.ted.com/talks/dan_pink_on_motivation.html

Erik G Eitel

I agree with Eric. I think that mastery, autonomy, and purpose are key motivators in the work place. It’s one thing to “keep busy,” but I think doing purposeful work is the most important.

I also like the idea of an extended lunch as a perk. Can’t hurt to reward employees with simple things like a little longer of a break during the course of the day.

Jeanette Perez
    Participant

Haha! I love everyone’s replies..but I will say this. I bet
    That if you do a little of what you read in all these replies, you won’t go wrong. You know, make a combination of everything. I work for the State of Texas and it seems that the way the workers are being handled is exactly in all these replies. There’s a shortage of employees and employees work the hours for an employee that will be hired at a later time. Its understable with good overtime but it does lead to sometimes a burnout..and so therefore, there’s tons of appreciation, motivation and rewards. I love my career because the way we love our clients on the outside, that love is also on the inside for the employees and that makes everyone want to pull through together.

Eric R. Payne
    Participant

Agree, those ‘simple things’ can really add to employee’s feelings of being valued and respected.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.