National Strategy for Trusted Identities

Home Forums Miscellaneous National Strategy for Trusted Identities

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Peter Sperry 6 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

Henry Brown
    Participant

Don’t know if it will gain traction or not but it has the ABILITY to dramatically change the way transactions are conducted on the net…

From http://www.nist.gov/nstic/

Shopping and banking, social networking, accessing your employer’s intranet – these activities and more are all routinely done on the Web. The increase in the availability of these services results in greater opportunities for innovation and economic growth, but it also produces new risks. Common practices related to managing online identities contribute to that risk:

* Personal information, such as your birth date, birthplace, or answers to security questions are collected by multiple online service providers, which results in greater opportunities for identity theft.

* People have to maintain usernames and passwords for every site with which they interact. Unfortunately, many people cope by rarely changing their passwords or by using the same password for many accounts. However, even if an individual follows the best security practices and has a different password for each account, she is at risk: passwords alone are not a very secure form of authentication.

The National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace (NSTIC) is an Obama Administration initiative aimed at establishing identity solutions and privacy-enhancing technologies that will improve the security and convenience of sensitive online transactions through the process of authenticating individuals, organizations, and underlying infrastructure – such as routers and servers. The Strategy was developed with substantial input from the private sector and the public. It calls for the effort to be led by the private sector, in partnership with the federal government, consumer advocacy organizations, privacy experts, and others.

Peter Sperry
    Participant

A buddy of mine described something like this and I wondered what he was talking about. His take was that all individuals would be required to establish an internet identity to allow government to identify the source of critical comments from otherwise anonymous sources. He was not quite equating it with black helicopters but moving in that general direction. I didn’t think much of it at the time but I am beignning to see his point.

Although, we both agreed that government probably already can and does trace critical comments to their source using the IP address of the sender. My friend is worried about this. I realize my life is so boring the NSA lost interest a long time ago.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.