Needing an Aggregate

Home Forums Leadership and Management Needing an Aggregate

This topic contains 14 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Casondra C. Brewster 11 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

Ken S. Heller
    Participant

Just fishing for thoughts. I’m beginning to realize there are far too many Social Media alternatives out there. Between this, Twitter and Yammer my time can be easily devoured! I would appreciate other’s input and suggestions.

Twitter? You’re wasting your time on Twitter? Yes, you need some prioritization, my friend. My thoughts are that priorities need to be made. Like no twitters except first in the a.m. or last at p.m. (although I refrain from it entirely), or only when something spectacular needs to be communicated. Yammer, what the heck is yammer? It’s just like any other process …what’s the cost/benefit ratio? with the commodity being time. That said, I understand how this can all be overwhelming. I kept a log for a week to decide what 2.0 format was best for me. It will probably need to be reassesed soon. The bottom line, like with everything is — what gives you the biggest bang for the buck? (she says as she joins yet another 2.0 platform….lol!)

Ken S. Heller
    Participant

Awesome!

Steve Radick
    Participant

Ken – I think you’ll appreciate this post by Andrea Baker. You can’t do them all…you have to pick and choose the right level of involvement for you. For me, Twitter, Yammer, and GovLoop have become invaluable tools for me. For others, they’re a spectacular waste of time. I would recommend taking every social network that you belong to, and put some goals against them – what do you hope to accomplish through each one.

Steve Radick
    Participant

Also, if you really want an aggregator – try the Flock browser!

Ken S. Heller
    Participant

As we discussed before, I’ve been trying to determine the merit of each. I find Twitter to be good for quick headlines and links; Yammer has provided a good link into BAH, LinkedIn I find a valuable professional resource which seems to be growing in capability, and now I’m checking out this one. Utility seems to go with diversity which is why I would like a condenser of some sort on a single page. 🙂 I know, wishful thinking. Thanks for the advice though!

John Miller
    Participant

Aggregation can create another personality. I post different information to twitter, LinkedIn, govLoop, along with personal and internal blogs. Aggregating these in different formats and combinations presents a different face. There is a lot of opportunity in aggregation of social services.

Steve Radick
    Participant

BTW – have you seen this thread that someone already started? There are some useful tips in there

Ken S. Heller
    Participant

Good stuff!

Hi Ken,

If you haven’t heard of Thirty Day Challenge, you may want to check it out. In 30 Days, it teaches an individual how to set up a blog-based business and establish a comprehensive web presence using various social media tools…all free.

If you ignore the part about setting up a web-based business, the “pre-game” alone is worth browsing as it introduces you to Flock (per Steve’s suggestion above), FriendFeed, Squidoo and much more…once you’ve had this orientation to the breadth of social media options on the web, you’ll be more than prepared to narrow it down to 3-4 that maximize your experience/presence.

So…after completing the Challenge, I narrowed it down to (in no particular order!):

1. Facebook (keeping in touch with friends and family)
    2. LinkedIn (making professional contacts and learning from groups/forums)
    3. Twitter (staying connected, getting news/ideas – as a teleworker, this is my “water cooler” community)
    4. GovLoop (sharing knowledge and ideas, networking, cross-posting from blog)

FriendFeed updates my social bookmarking, Twitter and Facebook activity, though I don’t pay attention to it that closely. Flock is also very handy to keep everything straight!

Emi Whittle
    Participant

fuser.com

Ken S. Heller
    Participant

Awesome input by all, and I will check out each one.

Here’s one I heard about: http://www.peoplebrowsr.com

I’m finding it quite useful!

Ken S. Heller
    Participant

Thanks! I’ll check it out!

Ken S. Heller
    Participant

I’ll give it a spin!

Amanda Wood
    Participant

You can use RSS to Twitter to populate your twitter feed automatically via your blog or press release RSS.
    Just go to http://twitterfeed.com/ to sign up, set up and let roll. It saves time while not neglecting your followers. This is one tool- by far not the only that exists to keep the chatter going to your various audiences.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.