New Job roles

Home Forums Careers New Job roles

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  subroto mukerji 7 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

subroto mukerji
    Participant

As the Internet expands more and more job roles will develop. This seems to be a new one.

This excerpt is from: http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/career/?p=1909&tag=nl.e101

This week we feature a job snapshot from Shawn Morton, who is
    Director of Mobile, Social & Emerging Media at Nationwide Insurance:

What do you like best about your job?

I really like being on the front-end of emerging trends and technologies. A big part of my job is keeping up with what’s new in
    mobile, social media ,and emerging marketing areas like gaming.

The key for me, though, is being able to find a way to use those technologies to meet our business objectives. With social media, we have
    had success in engaging our customers and prospective customers around
    our NASCAR Nationwide Series sponsorship. With mobile, we were able to
    be the first insurance company to launch a claims app for iPhone.

In some cases, we have found that a technology isn’t quite right or ready for us to take advantage of it.

What do you dislike most about your job?

There really isn’t anything that I would say I dislike about my job. I think one of the bigger challenges over the past year or so has been
    making the business case internally for using things like social media
    as part of our marketing mix.

As challenging as it was, I think it was, ultimately, a good thing. Now, we have much wider understanding of and support for social media
    within the company.

What education/background prepared you for your job?

I got my undergraduate degree in Journalism & Advertising and my graduate degree in Film Production. I ended up teaching myself HTML in
    an effort to get my student films on the Internet back in 1997. Once I
    realized what the Web could do, I was hooked.

Most of the relevant experience for my current role has been gained working in interactive over the past 14 years. I’ve had a variety of
    job titles — from UI design to product management to community manager —
    but what I’ve always tried to do is make sure that my work is aligned
    with the business objectives of whatever organization I was working for.

It is easy to get caught up in the hype of the newest shiny thing on the Web. I’ve always tried to understand the trends and then figure out
    if they apply to what we’re trying to accomplish.

How would OPM classify this one?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.