News Media: Digital vs. Traditional (infograph)

Home Forums Citizen Engagement & Customer Service News Media: Digital vs. Traditional (infograph)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Henry Brown 5 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

David B. Grinberg
    Participant

More and more people are getting their news today from digital platforms, according to the Pew Research Center, 2013 State of the News Media report.

Which news platform(s) do you prefer, and why?

Henry Brown
    Participant

Why does it have to be either or? I take a great deal of pride on the fact that I am rather well informed on both local and national issues… and I use all the above to keep “myself in the loop”.

Radio: Although don’t commute (haven’t for some 10 years), one of the top “selector buttons” has always been a news radio station (note: I did not say talk radio) And when travelling will “seek” a news radio station… and the first 3 “selector buttons” on my SIRRUS radio is CNN Fox News and CNBC

Television: my “favorites” on my remote control include the major News networks(yes Fox news is included). Probably 70 percent of my TV watching occurs during the news hour(s)…

Newspaper: I have delivered to the house 2 Newspapers, and they at least get the quick glance over EVERY day and on some days the entire paper gets read! While traveling I will make at least some effort to purchase and read whatever local papers I can…

Online: Yes I have retired, so I no longer am required to produce x number of reports on a regular basis, so I can spend 5 or more hours every day online, Although would offer that has probably been pretty much so the case, at least all this century. Online sources of news include RSS Feeds, Twitter, Newsletters, Google+ and to somewhat lesser degree Facebook.(I have one facebook account for staying connected with family and “friends”, and another account for staying connected via “likes”

A very long time ago, I learned that if one relies on one source for their news they will tend to become somewhat narrow-minded in their view points.

David B. Grinberg
    Participant

Thanks for the insightful feedback, Henry.

I especially like your point about digesting a diversity of news rather than relying on one source, or a number of sources, reflecting a single ideological viewpoint. Even if a news consumer is an ideological extremist who only tunes into Fox News Channel, Rush Limbaugh, and conservative digital content – or vice versa — it still makes sense IMO to know what the other side is saying in order to effectively counteract it and comprehend the full scope of divergent perspectives.

You’re right, Henry, that one need not choose between strictly new media or traditional media. However, there has been a conspicuous convergence of traditional and digital news accessed via social media platforms — which I find to be an interesting trend. For example, a lot of folks get news from Twitter or Facebook, however, these social media sites are merely intermediaries for traditional news content — which remains important and influential in driving the overall national news agenda.

On a personal note, I continue to consume traditional media content through social and digital platforms. I no longer receive home delivery of the Washington Post, for instance. I do, however, pay close attention to the nightly network newscasts (albeit via DVR) and the front pages of the NYT, WSJ and Wash Post because traditional media still drive the national/global news agenda.

DBG

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.