No More Résumés or Business Cards! LinkedIn’s Advertising Chief Says He’ll Destroy Your Résumé

Home Forums Careers No More Résumés or Business Cards! LinkedIn’s Advertising Chief Says He’ll Destroy Your Résumé

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Ari Herzog 5 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

Camille Roberts
    Participant

LinkedIn’s Advertising Chief Tell us How he’s Going to Destroy Your Résumé!

Whew! Glad I know how to write LinkedIn and social media profiles. <smile> Seriously. This IS interesting. I love social media. For at least the past seven years, I have been teaching job seekers how to use Facebook, Twitter, and/or LinkedIn to accelerate their job search. I am a believer that most everyone should have a professional presence, and a social media résumé.

The articles states “only 10% of LinkedIn users are looking for a job and the other 90% are doing other things–business networking, finding a piece of information, and reading the news.”

This validates my belief that MORE job seekers need to be more educated in how to use LinkedIn (and social media, including GovLoop) to their advantage. I think some people believe LinkedIn is a job board–post your resume and wait to be found–not a good strategy for today’s highest competitive job market in 60 years.

I love LinkedIn for a lot of things, including joining groups to learn, but what do you think? Do you go to LinkedIn to read the news? Find a piece of information? Look for a job? Find a recruiter? Find an old colleague or boss? Place an ad? Recruit? Network? Connect? Kill time?

http://www.businessinsider.com/linkedins-advertising-chief-tells-us-how-hes-going-to-destroy-your-resume-2012-2#

Camille

[email protected]

http://www.ccCareerServices.com

Ari Herzog

Considering I am looking for a job (as a social media manager, and that is a link to my LinkedIn summary), I am occasionally applying for a job directly that is posted there; but the majority of my LI time is spent asking questions, responding to other questions, perusing existing contacts, finding new contacts — and generally what you’re questioning the 90% do.

I don’t read news there, though; unless if it appears when I visit a group. In fact, when the home screen shows friends who liked certain updates, I’ll gloss over them.

Kathleen Smith
    Participant

Yes, Reid does have a way of wanting to change the world and with all the hub bub about social media you would think that resumes and business cards were out of date. However, more recent data from the recruiting industry states differently. The number one way companies find candidates – drum roll please – is job board, then internal referrals. And for each 10 internal referrals, only one candidate is hired. Where did social media stack up? Less the 1% or down at the bottom. So while there is the “rage” for social media being the new way to find a job, it is still a multi level strategy that includes both online, offline, old school and new school tactics.

Camille Roberts
    Participant

Hi Ari,

I didn’t ever know what type of job you were looking for until today. <g> That is exciting…and good to know! We have a lot in common. I read your LI profile noticed your comment about your first web site. My first web site went up 20 years ago and another new one will be up soon. (Yikes that dates me!)

I didn’t mean to imply I was questioning the 90%. It is very important to ask AND answer questions on LinkedIn, and there are many other things to do. After re-reading that page of the article, those numbers–10% and 90% could be interpreted different ways. Does that mean 10% of total LI users are only looking for jobs, or are they looking for jobs 10% of the time and doing other things 90% of the time? I don’t have a problem with reading the news there or looking for information. Those are just a few things that can be done with LinkedIn.

My point is many job seekers are not using LinkedIn to it’s advantage, or social media to it’s advantage. I also do not believe the resume is dying, or dead. The resume is only one tool in the toolkit for finding a job. Social media has made it easier to connect to people and those connections can be used for finding a long lost love, a current love, as well as finding jobs, among many other things.

For the past 25 years, even though my clients have had electronic versions of their resumes, and now QR codes that link to their “resumes” to make it even easier to share with smartphones, I have always recommended they keep several prints of their resume. I recommend they store it on a flash drive and keep it in a safe place, even a safe deposit box. I also recommend they keep a LIVE resume like a journal and write “in” it every week. A multi-prong strategy, if you will, to the overall concept of the resume. I’m not saying LinkedIn will ever go belly up, but using it for the ONLY place you “store” your resume is not a good strategy.

As one of my colleagues stated: “The death of the resume is predicted every other day…by people who aren’t actually doing any hiring. It is usually people who are selling a product or service that is supposed to “replace” the resume…”

I reviewed a LinkedIn profile for a potential client last night, along with all his other materials so I could give him a quote on services. When I reviewed his profile, he didn’t have anything in his profile (not even a headline), and he had uploaded his resume to DropBox. That’s it. Not one text field was completed. I realize that is an extreme case of a bad LI profile, but it will be interesting to talk strategy with him today. (I find the same thing with some people in the case of USAJOBS.)

I agree with Kathleen–a multilevel strategy that includes online, offline, old school and new school is a good strategy…and IF that doesn’t work, change it until it does. There will never be one strategy that fits and is successful for every job seeker. I believe job seekers need to cast their nets further and strategize, strategize, strategize. <g>

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.