Novel Ways to Cross the Potomac

Home Forums Acquisitions Novel Ways to Cross the Potomac

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  AJ Malik 7 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

Sterling Whitehead
    Participant

I need to get to the Naval Yards in the morning every now and then, but traffic and metro congestions are major hassels. I’m looking for novel ways to get across the Potomac from Arlington to the DC Naval Yards.

Other than driving, metroing, and human cannon balls, what are some ideas?

AJ Malik
    Participant

Srinidhi Boray
    Participant

Work from home – virtual office. I was traveling to Navy Yard five months from North Virginia, it was 2 hrs each way every day and combination of transport. There are some sort of pains in this world, only way to put up with it is to enjoy it.

Sterling Whitehead
    Participant

Wouldn’t I need a helmet?

Sterling Whitehead
    Participant

Srinidhi, if you were in my shoes, what points would you make to my bosses about teleworking?

Srinidhi Boray
    Participant

Let me relate another amusing incident (not at Navy Yard) – I was working on a design project working towards “Virtualization”, the CIO’s and other leaders rather shamefully received awards for their efforts 🙂

While on this project, I asked my boss can I work some days when I am not meeting the client from home and use the time saved ( 4 hours) productively. Answer was no. We are creating some sort system for teleworking, but we ourselves cannot practice what we preach.

20 years back, I worked from my home in India for nearing 7 years being self employed 🙂

15 years back SAP had achieved a development environment “follow the sun” design collaboration. Many of its employees in USA and India never ever met their immediate boss. And, yet got very good honest appraisal of their skills.

The challenge is, we are living in a dysfunctional world. Bosses feel less in control if they cannot physically subjugate their workers.

There is a very strong drive for achieving “teleworking” – green movement, etc, also I thin there is a legislation to that effect. On the other hand within Agencies there are efforts to subvert it 🙂 owing to funding reasons.

Bike it. Seriously, there’s a great bike path that runs along the Potomac from Arlington over to DC:

http://www.commuterpage.com/biketrails.htm

http://bikewashington.org/trails/vernon/vernon.htm

Green and good exercise!

Srinidhi Boray
    Participant

Bike is not a bad choice, except office colleagues need to put up with sweaty fragrance. One of gov officer used to come to Navy Yard from Union Station on a push cycle, it looked like a modified roller blade. It was both exercise and an escape from claustrophobic office.

Sterling Whitehead
    Participant

The biking idea is a good idea — particularly if I can keep work clothes at work.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.