Open Communications: When the Boss Doesn't Support It

Home Forums Leadership and Management Open Communications: When the Boss Doesn't Support It

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  David Dejewski 6 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

David Dejewski
    Participant

Inspired by an excellent Blog post titled "5 Things Your Boss Needs to Know About Communications: Takeaways from IPR’s Strategic Communication" written by GovLooper BJ Baily, I'd like to ask my fellow GovLoopers a question:

What can you do when your boss does not support open communication or customer engagement?

Perhaps you have seen some or all of the signs:

• too many layers of approval to "get the word out"
    • cripplingly slow response times from the approval chain
    • censorship
    • little to no "input" mechanisms for customers and stakeholders to "get the word in"
    • strict control of the message at the expense of quality or truth
    • "sterilization" of communications
    • Underfunded, understaffed, and/or poorly staffed (i.e. wrong or immature skill sets) communications program
    • No place for communication at the executive table
    • <insert your own communication mistake here>

There are three aspects of this issue I'd like to understand better:

1. What can you do to help your boss understand the things BJ Baily writes about in his post?
    2. Wat can you do to help an organization who's boss does not support communication
    3. What can you do to support your customers and stakeholders in an organization who's boss does not support open communications?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.