Open Thread: State of the Union Address

Home Forums Leadership and Management Open Thread: State of the Union Address

This topic contains 18 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Shannon Kennedy 7 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

Stephen Peteritas
    Participant

Tonight is the President Obama’s State of the Union address. As govies I’m sure we’ll all have opinions on the topics he’ll cover, the new ideas he’ll throw out and yes the campaigning (election year) he’ll do.

Let’s make this discussion a central location to chat about the address on GovLoop. Remember opinions are welcome but personal attacks ARE NOT. Keep it clean, and lets enjoy the SOTU together on GovLoop!

Shannon Kennedy
    Participant

With all the talk of the election, I’m very interested to see what he presents for his campaign.

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Couple hours away…loving the landing page they put together

http://www.whitehouse.gov/state-of-the-union-2012#sub1-tab

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Couple thoughts:

-Immigration Reforms – what does that meet for USCIS? If we pass reform, there’s a ton of work to process all those new applications
    -Trade Enforcement Unit – where does the unit reside? Are these new employees or just a rebranding?

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

New Financial Crimes Unit…assuming resides in CFPB? Wonder if staffed up yet

Candace Riddle
    Participant

Had to laugh about the earlier comment regarding “cutting through the maze of training programs”. Granted Obama was talking technical skills in the private sector, but I wonder if he’s taken a look at the “maze” of training programs for acquisition professionals in the Federal Gov. The “maze” and non-transferability of acquisition certifications between various agencies was one of the number one discussions at Next Gen ’11 roundtable discussions last summer.

Megan Dotson
    Keymaster

I thought the exact same thing when he said that. Maybe we can give him notes after this year’s NextGen or better yet invite him to hear it first hand 🙂 All in all, it should theoretically be easier to fix it within government before you can fully understand how to fix the entire nation’s educational system – but I think both can happen simultaneously…and should!

Deb Green
    Participant

I’d fire the speechwriter who came up with the spilled milk joke. 🙂 Seemed inappropriately out of context with the rest of the speech.

Candace Riddle
    Participant

Absolutely it should! I just read a ton of literature today on capacity and capability building. One of the keys to sustaining growth in the capacity area is to standardize certain professional skills (i.e. the capability). Anything other than that is just bad succession planning and unsustainable organizational practice.

Alex Moll
    Participant

Not so fast; at least inside the viewing auditorium, of which half (150 people total) were citizens from around country, laughed at the wit of it and even gave a round of applause! I actually thought it was witty and brilliant. To me, it made the President look super confident.

Interesting point – the sentence just prior to that line was interesting:

“Now you need to give more community colleges the resources they need to become community career centers – places that teach people skills that local businesses are looking for right now, from data management to high-tech manufacturing.”

This is probably another thread, but it would be interesting to explore a better partnership between government and community colleges for job training. I know that when I was managing a project at Warner Robins AFB in the middle of Georgia, there was a strategic link between the base and the local community college. My organization (a quasi-government educational institution) supplemented their technical training with soft skills courses, mostly for officers.

Corey McCarren
    Participant

As someone who minored in Communication Studies, I pay close attention to his nonverbals (tone, bodylanguage, ect), which, as always, were impressive and appropriate. As far as content, watching the State of the Union Address usually makes me feel hopeful, and I think he made a lot of key points that I agreed with. I do believe that Obama works to stop gridlock in Washington, and that was a huge theme throughout his speech.

Now, as someone who majored in Political Science, I try to look at what type of comments Boehner claps to as well as other easily identifiable Republicans (Cantor, ect). I wasn’t taking notes, but it’s sometimes very unexpected.

ASPA
    Participant

We were impressed with the emphasis on results and performance management. Is a leaner government mean more efficiency? I would like to hear the thoughts.

Allison Primack
    Participant

I follow Twitter Government, and apparently the most “#SOTU” tweets came in during the spilled milk joke… 14,131 tweets at 9:51pm ET! The runner-up was 13,956 after the innovation and Steve Jobs references.

Natalie Jennings
    Participant

Hey guys – I work for the Washington Post, and we’re collecting your thoughts on the State of the Union for a blog post later this week. Have anything you want to say that’s fit to print? Tell me in this post or on Twitter using the hashtag #Fedbuzz:

Jaime Gracia
    Participant

I don’t think the problem is as acute as security clearances. FAI certifications are certainly agency agnostic, or at least the design should be that way (i.e. FAC/C and FAC P/PM). May DAU courses that are targeted for Defense personnel for DAWIA certifications are used towards FAI as well.

Robin
    Participant

local gov frequently depends on community college/ adult vocational programs for training specific to gov. functions in many different areas. They can assist in the standardization of curriculum and instruction. That can help build and maintain capacity fairly inexpensivley.

Candace Riddle
    Participant

Same thing is happening in Augusta, GA right now. There is a link between the local community college and the new Vogtle Nuclear Power Units 3 & 4 (which by the way is getting a lot of Federal dollars). Anyhow, the local community college has already began teaching courses to certify future operators for the plant.

Candace Riddle
    Participant

Not always. Leaner in terms of dollars spent (maybe)…leaner in terms of workforce (I’m not sold). I’ve seen many organizations lean down in terms of workforce over the past few years. I’m just now beginning to see this affect efficiency. Many people are becoming so overtaxed with multi-tasking that nothing is receiving the attention that it deserves and many things are slipping through the cracks because people simply do not have time. We’re doing 50% more work with 20% less workforce. That is not efficient if it is not done right.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.