Organizational Communication

Home Forums Budgeting Organizational Communication

This topic contains 8 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Steve Ressler 8 years ago.

• Author

Janna Raudenbush
    Participant

My organization is holding what we are calling a “Professional Development Conference” and one of the areas that I would like to see us address during this conference is organizational communication — going beyond the ‘company newsletter’ to foster truly effective organizational communication. Does anyone have any suggestions for speakers (preferably an organizational communication expert within the government but we’re definitely open to an outside speaker depending on budget) or any other helpful ideas to inspire us (a good book, website, technique for discussion)?

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Hey Janna – I just posted your question in our internal communication group – some great folks there – https://www.govloop.com/group/internalcommunications

Also had a great conversation on the topic there this week.

Daniel Mintz
    Participant

While you might consider this thought a backup to your original one, there are a number of places you can get access to former Government people who might have something to say (ACT-IAC, AFCEA, TechAmerica, …).

In addition to the above, I am a member of what is called the SAGE community (I won’t comment about the accuracy of the implications of the acronym) and through all of these sometimes get invited back to speak to groups (and/or be on panels) relating to these kinds of topics.

I am not entirely sure what an aging former CIO would offer, but historically I have talked a lot about formal and informal kinds of communication and would be glad to be helpful.

– Dan

You could use the IDEO brainstorming process to come up with ideas at the event:

http://www.fastcompany.com/node/63818/print

I know someone who could facilitate…we used at the Next Gen Gov Summit in two different sessions and it went very well. In fact, we’re morphing it into a series of events called “Wonk-a-thons” next year.

Robert Bacal
    Participant

Janna, I’ve been invited to do a keynote and some other stuff at a government conference in Ottawa on internal communication – actually it will touch on metrics for success, if I recall. I’m former government, and I’m in Ottawa, which isn’t too far if your conference is in Washington. If you have a chance take a look at my article on internal communication strategies, which was written for a government audience, and see if it “speaks to you”.

I’m willing to see if there’s a good fit, and if not, I’ll be the first to tell you I can’t help. It really depends on who/what/ and the goals of your session.

I took Steve Crescenzo and Shel Holtz’s Government Communicators Boot Camp class back in 2003. Crescenzo acts like an insane lunatic but is the best corporate communications trainer out there. Holtz is an excellent trainer on social media. For your event, would recommend Crescenzo. Probably not cheap though. http://www.crescenzocomm.com/

I’m also glad to come in and talk if it would help – send me a message.

Susan Pcola-Davis
    Participant

Nancy Stern:

http://www.nancystern.com/

Speaker · Author · Educator · Consultant

Whether you’re experiencing change, managing people, connecting with customers and co-workers, or making presentations, getting your message across effectively is vital to your success.

Nancy Stern custom designs keynotes, breakouts and educational programs to enhance communication effectiveness; to help increase productivity, profitability and peace of mind; and to impact the bottom line where it matters most, with results.

Why Nancy Stern?

Speaker · Author · Educator · Consultant

Whether you’re experiencing change, managing people, connecting with customers and co-workers, or making presentations, getting your message across effectively is vital to your success.

Nancy Stern custom designs keynotes, breakouts and educational programs to enhance communication effectiveness; to help increase productivity, profitability and peace of mind; and to impact the bottom line where it matters most, with results.

Her interactive Communication Plus programs release your potential by enhancing the “whole self” and consequently, the “whole organization.”

Since 1984, thousands have listened to her speak. She has shared her personal experiences while providing practical tools to help people live and work in harmony with the many changes we face daily.

Nancy has been a columnist with the San Diego Daily Transcript, is the co-author of 101 Stupid Things Trainers Do To Sabotage Success, holds a Master’s degree in Communication from Michigan State University, has taught at the University of California San Diego and San Diego State University, and has consulted with several Fortune 500 companies. She’s an EMMY award-winner, who appeared in the national PBS television series Communicating With Nancy Stern.

She’ll inspire your audience through the simple yet powerful lesson:

How you say what you say matters.™

Call NOW for a FREE Consultation!

Sarah Jennings Agan
    Participant

Janna – we facilitated a workshop a few weeks ago at a conference hosted by the Advanced Learning Institute. The conference was around Strategic Internal Communications in Government. Our topic was Using Language to Dramatically Improve Organizational Effectiveness. Two books we introduced to workshop participants are: Fierce Conversations by Susan Scott and Language and the Art of Happiness by Chalmers Brothers. I highly recommend both. Neither of these books are a template for organizational communication – and they are both about fundamentally shifting how we use language and that in turn has massive implications for how we communication in organizations. It’s a different take on the topic.

Janna Raudenbush
    Participant

Dan– Would you mind providing me with a little more information? I’d love to hear more about the SAGE community and the other places you mentioned I maybe be able to find speakers to discuss organizational communication. I’d also be interested in what types of topics topics you’ve spoken on in the past. You can reach me at [email protected]. Thanks so much for your reply and willingness to help me out!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.