Osama Bin Laden Dead… Thoughts?

Home Forums Miscellaneous Osama Bin Laden Dead… Thoughts?

This topic contains 84 replies, has 42 voices, and was last updated by  Ed Albetski 8 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

CNN and Fox News are both reporting Bin Laden is dead. Obviously a big deal but just wanted to give people a place to share thoughts.

Ed Albetski
    Participant

“For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind: it hath no stalk: the bud shall yield no meal: if so be it yield, the strangers shall swallow it up.” Hosea 8:7

The violence he fostered eventually found him. Hopefully our country can use this event to come together for a change.

Shannon Kennedy
    Participant

Thanks to all the service men and women who have risked their lives over the past 10 years! Thanks to President Bush, President Obama, and all involved in keeping our beautiful country safe! God Bless America!

Party at the White House tonight to start May – Memorial for the Fallen at the end of May

Elliot Volkman
    Participant

I’m just hoping that now, after such an extensive period of time has passed, that terrorists won’t claim Bin Laden as a martyr and respond with immediate violence. Sorry if this is spammy, but we have a news roundup here.

Peter Sperry
    Participant

Congratulations to President Obama, the intelligence and military operatives who made it happen. Now lets get the he– out of the middle east and never go back (unless with ICBMs).

Stephen Peteritas
    Participant

Two things stand out to me 1) we should be happy and yes awesome job intelligence and special forces people BUT nobody likes a gloating winner (don’t add fuel to the fire by parading through the streets) especially when it’s a premature celebration. 2) Geraldo’s fist pumps and giddiness on FOX last night (normally I don’t watch FOX but last night it seemed appropriate) were the best fist pumps I’ve seen on TV in a while… I’m looking at you Jersey Shore.

Sterling Whitehead
    Participant

I’m giddy with excitement! I’m resisting the urge to run around the office.

A few things come to mind — (1) medals for those who got that scum, (2) text messages were big in spreading the message, (3) Twitter and Facebook are lighting up, and (4) what a weekend for Western Civilization — a royal wedding and an enemy vanquished.

I know I’m seeing this all in black and white right now (I usually live in the gray world of objectivity), but dang it feels good.

Denise Petet
    Participant

Glad he’s gone. I found it amusing that the key to a successful raid seems to be to tell no one until after it’s over – including our allies.

I’m glad the military seems to be embracing low key…IMHO, the last thing we need is the perception that we’re rubbing peoples’ noses in his death. (although the hypocrisy rampant with any extreme group does mean that no matter what we do, i’ll incite someone and if they had done the equivalent, their govt. would be urging them to shout it from the rooftops)

But I think the sad thing is, it took us almost 10 years to find him, because he had many allies and friends that helped to hide him – even if it was help by turning the other way and not speaking out. So if it took us that long to eliminate him, do we even want to think how many decades it’ll take to end terrorism???? Or will we accept that we never will.

We have a few too many people in this world (and country) using ‘I’m doing ‘god’s’ will’ as an excuse to persecute, attack and kill. And that’s the attitude that allows terrorism – in all its incarnations.

I’ve got to be honest: I was pretty happy to see the reports last night…but I’m now dismayed by the reports that Osama’s body was “buried at sea.” This move just feeds the fire of conspiracy theorists everywhere. Can we see some pictures? In some ways, I want proof. I think we all need it given the current political environment in America. You?

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Want to thank our intelligence officers and troops for all their work. To me, more a relief and glad that he’s no longer with us. But bragging/gloating feels weird to me as well….

Andy Oram
    Participant

Well, I’m worried that the death could actually make it harder to fight terrorism and the Taliban. Bin Laden was found in a comfortable neighborhood in the capital, right under the noses of the Pakistani government. When the dust settles (literally and figuratively) from the attack, people are going to start to ask who knew. Our relations with Pakistan are already in decline; this could easily be a tipping point in the wrong direction.

Alan Acree
    Participant

Kudos to the Navy Seals! And Kudos to the Bush Adminsitration who’s interrogation tactics four years ago led to the intelligence that ultimately resulted in finding this piece of work. Tactics, I might add that have been wrongly criticized by this “administration.” Oh, the irony! And one more thing: There was no better ending for this loser than ending up as fish bait!

Jay A. Allen
    Participant

Likewise a bit confused on that one. Hopefully some DNA was protected.

Gregory Butera
    Participant

This incident again shows the power of social media…I heard about it from a friend’s text message and then I confirmed the news on twitter. Then I turned on the TV. An hour later I saw the president’s press conference. Twitter is so much faster, and oddly reliable.

This morning one of the top stories is that a man actually tweeted the entire incident in Abbottabad without knowing what it was. From twitter: @ is about to become famous -> Man unknowingly liveblogs Bin Laden operation

Tammy Turner
    Participant

God Bless our Service Men and Women, and their families thank you for your sacrifices. Thank you for protecting our freedoms!! Let’s all remain vigilant!

SteveWonder
    Participant

Both Osama and Obama (and U.S. Presidents Bush, Clinton, Bush II, Reagan, etc) are parties to murder.
    Hope justice catches up with elected officials, including Obama and any State Governor, or any Defense, Homeland Security, FBI, Police and Sheriff, or non-elected public servant, who reigns anywhere in the world, that commits murders or promotes the death of innocent civilians.

Obama and anyone who serves the public while committing/allowing/permitting deaths of citizens should be terminated/removed from office and placed in jail, behind bars. That means thousands of government officials are currently fugitives from justice.

The Ten Commandments clearly state, “THOU SHALL NOT KILL!”

Jenyfer Johnson
    Participant

I was looking at CNN today and think this post sums up my feelings the best:
    Vatican spokesman, Father Federico Lombardi issued the statement, “Osama bin Laden, as we all know, had the very grave responsibility of spreading division and hatred amongst the people, causing the death of countless people, and of instrumentalizing religion for this end. In front of the death of man, a Christian never rejoices but rather reflects on the grave responsibility of each one in front of God and men, and hopes and commits himself so that every moment not be an occasion for hatred to grow but for peace.”

Well said, I think!

Tara*
    Participant

I heard on the news that they collected DNA and did testing to confirm that it was actually him before making the announcement.

Elliot Volkman
    Participant

Athar is already famous. Every news agency in the world was hounding him for interviews. He just wanted a cup of coffee, poor guy.

Robert A. Moss
    Participant

A collaborative effort by our great military and intelligence personnel. A truly remarkable event in our nation’s history.

Timothy Cole
    Participant

I don’t think pictures on the news will be necessary. I am satisfied with the DNA sample.

Anne Steppe
    Participant

Really Andrew and Jay? I can’t believe there’s already talk of a conspiracy theory. Is there anything that this Prez can or cannot do that doesn’t smack of some conspiracy from someone? The real question is this – now that our only reason for going to Iraq and Afghanistan was to “get” Bin Laden – will we now bring home our troops? What justification can remain now that our arch-enemy is gone? I agree with Peter – let’s get out and bring our soldiers home! It’s time.

Turns out there is a photo…but it’s totally bizarre:

Deb Green
    Participant

Damned if we didn’t, afraid we’re now damned that we did. Now we’ll see how many more heads the hydra will develop. Capture wasn’t an option. Too bad we couldn’t pull him out of a small festering hole. The other question will now be what this means for our relationship with Pakistan.

Jana Opperman
    Participant

Yeah-nothing like wanting some “quiet time” and watching this piece of world history-not so quiet now!

Gregory Butera
    Participant

Why would they black out faces instead of just cropping them out of the picture? Odd, that.

Robert Eckhardt
    Participant

I’m a little disturbed by the chest pounding cheering and celebration over the death of a human being. I think the image it portrays is very base and animalistic. I don’t like that the image of the US is showing is that of an animal impassioned by blood lust.

That having been said I am relieved that this chapter is over but I’m trepidations about what the next chapter will be.

Russell C Walker
    Participant

This is crucial and awesome in so many ways. First the illustration of a relentless and capable military is astounding and very important strategically for our men & women Warfighters. Second, it is not good for our opponents around the globe – there is something to be said for a subconscious “fear” that “they (US & Allies) may get me someday”.

On a National level we can set strategic and tactical goals in Iraq & Afghanistan and begin to withdraw without any guilt. The information that Osama bin Laden was in the most prominent residence in a suburban Pakistan town amid dozens of retired military shows to the world the “unwinnable” aspect of conflict in the Middle East for US & Allied troops. Now the work will truly ramp up for CIA and covert Ops to bolster the rising tide for democracy in the Islamic worlds. For too many centuries the populations have been under the sultans, sheiks and rulers benefitting from their nations’ natural resources while fully two thirds of their populations live in less than standard conditions and many nations continue to experience fifty per cent unemployment.

The Far East and West might consider stepping back and establishing a method to support the budding desires for freedom and self-rule among the populations and respect the differences among us while aiding the freedom-seekers and freedom-fighters wherever they may be. Too long have the peoples suffered there because it is expedient politically to keep certain persons in power.

Deb Green
    Participant

Completely agree.

Tara*
    Participant

That really is an odd photo. I would guess they blacked out faces (rather than cropping them out) to protect identities while still showing a bit of environment for context. Still, it makes for a really creepy photo. Where did you find it?

Deb Green
    Participant

I doubt this is an accurate photo. Doesn’t match the look of UBL photos already distributed thru non – US media oulets. Not reposting any here due to graphic nature.

Carol Davison
    Participant

I am saddened that Bin Laden used his leadership genius and his wealth to destroy. “I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn from their ways and live.” Ezekial 33:11 I wonder if we cut off the hydra’s head or merley its hand.

Because the best way to concur an enemy is to make him your friend, let’s deploy thousands of teachers over there to teach the ignorant, build economies, support democracy, etc.

By the way that is a very strange photo. Military officers in dress uniforms and men in ties are in Pakistan? Burial at sea? President Obama said justice was served? How does that make the U.S. look to the Muslim world? Also without a close up, that picture could be of the Russian Monk Rasputin. Also, the faces are blacked out electronically. You don’t put holes in photos. You keep them for history.

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Is that picture real? Looks fake

Mark Hammer
    Participant

It’s a bit like a long, messy divorce, isn’t it, that dragged on and on and on, until 10 years later, the papers finally arrive in the mail and you can put it all behind you and move on with your life. Still, a little anti-climactic.

There have been, and sadly will continue to be, mistakes and bad choices made in American foreign policy, or the behaviour of American multi-nationals (e.g., Bhopal), and some imagined one, that will engender long-lasting resentment in other parts of the world. It happens. That resentment becomes dangerous when it gets organized and energized. Bin Laden’s death will certainly not put an end to the resentment, nor an end to attempts to organize it. I don’t subscribe to “great man” theories of history, but you know, you have Apple as run by Steve Jobs, and Apple, as run by me, and there is a bit of a difference with respect to their capacity to do anything of impact. I’d still be able to move a few iPads, but your shares would drop PDQ.

As a great many commentators have been noting in the recent past, Al-Qaeda has been rendered uninteresting to many potential followers by the capacity of ad hoc popular movements in the Arab world to unseat oppressive regimes that Bin Laden had been blaming the U.S. for supporting. Add to that the mounting civilian death toll in the region, arising from Taliban and other insurgent bombings and para-military operations, and you have an ever-growing distaste for what Al-Qaeda has to offer. You’ll pardon the levity, but they’re kind of the Britney Spears of the Muslim political world; interesting for a little while and then very quickly, kind of pathetic and embarrassing.

That being said, congrats to you folks. Congrats to your intelligence and military, and congrats to your president.

Re: details

Apparently, Bin Laden’s remains were offered to Saudi Arabia – his country of birth, where his extended family resides – and they said “Thanks, but we’ll pass” (or so it was reported this morning). Some have noted this morning that the quick burial at sea was partly an attempt to respect Muslim law that requires, like Judaism, burial within 24hrs unless it needs to be held up for some reason. There is a certain ignominiousness about burial at seas, regardless of whom it is, but I doubt whether any nation would welcome a burial place that could become a sort of shrine and rallying place.

Of course, for some people, unless there is a picture of Navy Seals holding a copy of the NY Daily News over his face, they will be hard pressed to accept this all as fact. Whenever you have something takes place far far away, or very quickly (moon landing, Kennedy assassination, etc.) there will always be those who see conspiracies and untruths. I just hope the tabloids aren’t pursuing the soldiers involved to find out who fired the shot that killed him. That person’s family does not deserve to have to worry about revenge attacks or be put into some sort of witness-protection program-like hiding.

I’m curious. Anyone seen Al-Jazeera’s coverage?

Denise Petet
    Participant

Although I, like everyone, would want proof, I understand the reasons for burial at sea. First, from what I understand, it’s in line with Islamic rites that the body be disposed of as quickly as possible, second, it deprives his followers from any grave site to turn into some sort of shrine/holy land.

He’s gone and ‘erased’ from the earth. I can’t recall what happened with Hitler’s body, but I would imagine that the same theory was used…deprive his followers from any sort of ‘new mecca’ or new holy land for them to focus upon. Deprive them of a potential shrine and you deprive them of any focus point for following.

Denise Petet
    Participant

I was watching Showtime (The Borgias) and a friend that I was IM’ing with told me the news, then i switched it over. So yeah, count another for ‘found it out via social media first’.

I do think the guy that tweeted it also shows another obstacle for any covert ops. Troops sneaking down a street can be outed by a curious kid on twitter with the right followers.

It can be pretty scary. As much as folks are worried about ‘big brother’ following them and ‘spying’ on them…their neighbors could be worse…because they have just as much of a right to tweet things on a public street as the rest of us have to expect folks to NOT tweet.

Denise Petet
    Participant

Blacking out was probably easier than cropping..or, for all we know, they did crop them out, and the black background is showing through 🙂

I’m going to presume that blacking out is deemed safer than digitizing and blurring them…that can always be undone and, right now, any one of those special forces dudes will have bounties on their heads if the public finds out who they are.

Apparently the Guardian release it…here’s the tweet:

http://twitter.com/SiameseChemise/statuses/65043807250546688

Not sure it’s legit…

Extraordinary account of the operation:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0511/54093.html

Obama was definitely Commander in Chief the whole way…

Elliot Volkman
    Participant

That appears to be fake, and they have a report on the more popular image being sent around that is also fake: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/may/02/osama-bin-laden-photo-fake?CMP=twt_gu

Also his DNA has been confirmed as a match now.

Jeffrey Foster
    Participant

I never knew we actually ever collected DNA samples from Osama when he was alive. When did this happen? I smell a sham in the works. I understand the Muslim traditions, but he was a criminal, and the American people need better proof here until we are all satisfied.

Peter Sperry
    Participant

We probably have DNA samples from close family members which would be sufficient to establish a DNA match. Also, I tend to believe SEAL teams when they say they have shot someone through the eye.

Mark Hammer
    Participant

I kind of feel bad for former President Jimmy Carter, who came so close to having his own comparable moment, just over 30 years ago, but was stymied by an unexpected dust storm. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Eagle_Claw ).

Shannon Kennedy
    Participant

Wow! What a great story!

Susan Womack
    Participant

I am grateful to our military men and women and the wonderful job the special ops did with taking out Bin Laden. However, I hope the media does not make Bin Laden out to be a martyr so we end up with many more problems. The media has the responsibility of reporting this death and I know how much it means to all of us but I hope they remember there is a line and they need to be careful.

Carol Davison
    Participant

Do you have to collect it from a living entity? It seems to me that blood and skin scraipings soon after death work because otherwise police would never be able to differentiate the victim’s DNA from the potential murderer.

Carol Davison
    Participant

That’s what I was saying in not so many words.

Denise Petet
    Participant

Theoretically, you can collect DNA millinnia after death. THey’ve successfully retrieved DNA from mummies in Egypt, and used it to find out the identity or relationship of the mummies to each other.

it does degrade over time and is present only in soft tissue (with the mummies they went for bone marrow or the insides of their teeth) but the biggest issue you face is contamination. Since we shed DNA every time we shed skin cells (aka all the time), care has to be taken. HOwever, like you’ve seen on TV, the sterile swab of the inner cheek, that works. And I would think that kind of collection would fit in with the ‘do not desecrate the body’ rules they have.

Given the sensitivities they’ve shown so far, it wouldn’t surprise me if troops weren’t briefed in exactly how to retrieve DNA and other identifying material without breaking any religious laws.

Carol Davison
    Participant

Could it be as simple as people being afraid to make a report for fear of reprisal?

Carol Davison
    Participant

Honoring religous laws regarding a person you’ve killed seems trivial.

Shannon Kennedy
    Participant

Tara*
    Participant

Oh, FOX… (sigh…)

Denise Petet
    Participant

When that person has thousands of followers desperate for an image to rally around, why pour gasoline on the fire? The last thing anyone needs is a Gitmo’esque recounting or images of the event.

The extremists need no excuse, but no need to rile up the moderates as well.

Russell C Walker
    Participant

We didn’t. His sister was a cancer patient at Boston’s Massachusetts General Hospital and had given permission for biopsy slides and tissue samples…

A rich kid born with a silver spoon in his mouth, who spent his life manipulating his followers into living like animals under terrible conditions and blowing themselves up at his command, ends up dying in a mansion in the suburbs. Leadership at its finest…

Russell C Walker
    Participant

No one will ever really know…these people know how to keep quiet…even their leadership knows how.

Tom Worthington
    Participant

Comments such as “Bye Bye, Bin Laden!” trivialise what has been achieved and risks turning a military success into a propaganda defeat.

Michael McDonald
    Participant

I do not think this blog is for your type of comments. Why not try Al Jazeera. Remember time and no man waits for American justice, it is inevitable and as sure as the sun rises no matter how long it takes.

Neil McEvoy
    Participant

I think it’s a shame we’re still not yet evolved enough to find jubilant celebrations of any one’s violent death inappropriate, nor wise enough to avoid it because ultimately it wishes the cycle back upon ourselves.

Bin Laden and his followers hate our guts – I think we need to quit worrying about what kind of image we protray to people who want nothing more than to see our heads rolling across the floor. People who get on school buses and set off bombs (or use their own women as human shields) will not be admire our restraint, and honestly, I don’t see how peacefully celebrating the death of one’s enemy (we aren’t dragging his deady body through the streets like Mussolini) is going enrage people who don’t currently hate America!

For the record, these celebrations aren’t for me – I’m thrilled beyond words that this animal finally assumed room temperature, but it hasn’t even moved me to even smile about it, let alone cheer.

Edward Stephens
    Participant

Where’s the proof. I don’t believe one single thing the goverment says, not even the President. My thoughts? We were ‘allowed’ to stage this ‘awesome strike’ to get Osama only after agreeing to let the 450 or so high-level terrorists ‘escape’ our Afghan prison a week ago. Sound wierd? Or right on. Reminds me of the CIA’s deal with Iran to hang onto the embassy folks until the DAY OF Reagan’s inauguration.

This’ll give us another 10 years or so in the Middle East tracking down even more terrorists. What else would our big military machine corporations do w/out continuing to produce bombs and bullets?

Tara*
    Participant

Just heard on NPR that they have not released any photos yet. They are debating whether or not to do so. Apparently, he was shot just above one eye and the photos are pretty grizzly, but they may decide to release them anyway to allay the rumors that he’s still alive somewhere.

Lynne G Siegel
    Participant

He still has a family left, and I’m sure they have no love for Americans. The war in the middle east will just escalate anyway. This will add fuel to the fire.

Chirag Patel
    Participant

Not surprised to have found him in a city and that too surrounded by military installations, now starts the Pakistan excuses for not being there when needed. I am proud of our SEAL team and the intelligence support and do want to take a moment to remember the sacrifices of every soul since 9/11. They are not forgotten and will never be. I am satisfied with the closure of OBL but his network remains intact and institution throughout Pakistan still present where new groups are being born, new recruits are enlisted and many more are already trained or in training. Should we think job is done? This is indeed a victory but a small one since no.2, 3,….are still at large. We are determined to get this done and we will prevail for the sake of peace around the world.

Denise Petet
    Participant

I find the fact that the only op that suceeded was the one we told noone about until after it was over. It makes you wonder how many times we might have had him, might have gotten close…but since we followed the rules and disclosed, people might have been warned and bad guys got away.

I think it speaks to how invasive and pervasive Al Queda can be…that it suggests that they have at least, sympathizers all over the place. Whether they be full fledged sympathizers or just people too afraid to not speak up or so desperate for money that they tip off operations to make a few bucks.

I think it also speaks to an underlying issue…either governments that fully support Al Queda, or members of the government that do. It’d be like trying to catch a fugitive in the US when certain membes of law enforcement turn a blind eye, help that fugitive get away or out right warn and protect them.

Ed Albetski
    Participant

The stories coming out this morning are whining that Osama was unarmed. That matters? If we wanted the guy arrested and handcuffed and read his rights we would have sent the NYPD after him. We sent a troop of Navy Seals. These are strike troops. They shoot people. Once they have a target they attack and try not to shoot folks wearing a Navy Seals uniform, but that’s it, everything else is a target. I won’t even entertain criticism of those guys. I would give them all medals.

Although I don’t celebrate a death, I think killing Osama was the best solution all around. The circus of a trial would have been a disaster.

Watching the talking heads on TV and listening to the comments made by “man on the street” folks across the country saddens me. When news organizations give microphones to every crank they can find the national conversation devolves into meaningless rants. No wonder no one even believes anything the government says anymore when the guys wearing tinfoil hats are being interviewed.

Tara*
    Participant

Agreed. I’d also like to point out that the people in the World Trade Center, in the Pentagon, and on Flight 93 (and many others around the world) were all unarmed when he sent his suicide squads after them. And I definitely agree that a trial would have been a complete mess. Better to make this a quick, clean, and very clear reprisal. This man has gone far beyond being a war criminal and a trial would have only legitimized him and his “cause”.

Advice to the next leader of Al Qaeda – when you are the world’s most wanted man with a multi-million dollar bounty on your head and thousands of US military relentlessly searching the world for you, you may want to arm yourself. When the US Special Forces find you, they generally don’t knock politely at your door and issue you a summons to appear in court.

Peter Sperry
    Participant

The Russians and/or Chinese would have left his head on a spike as warning to any future terrorists. Our Seals performed admirably under difficult circumstances. I could care less whether Bin Laden was armed or unarmed, did or did not resist or if his teenaged daughter was traumatized or what whack jobs in this or any other country think of our execution and subsequent burial of a deadly criminal who recieved a better ending than he deserved.

On a positive note, I notice the predictable protests throughout the Muslim world are much smaller than I would have expected. One of the major prayer services in Islamabad was reproted as drawing “almost 100 participents”. Even his own people recognize his death is nothing to mourn.

Carol Davison
    Participant

The ten commandments say “Thou shall not murder” meaning that I cannot take it upon myeslf to murder the person that I presume murdered my loved one. That alone is for the courts to decide. In this case the Seals shot a combatent. Whether waging war is appropriate is another story.

Denise Petet
    Participant

Killing him was definitely the best thing to do.

I think we all know that a trial would be a sham. Heck, look at the mess with Saddam. No one wants to deal with it, no country wants him – or the other Gitmo folks – anywhere within 100 miles of them. A trial would have been a long, drawn out mess that would have only made things hundreds of times worse. All a trial would have done was continue to martyr him and give him a platform to continue to commission attacks and rally supporters.

Whether those SEALS had an official kill order or if it was a ‘wink/wink/nudge/nudge’ ‘gee, if he’s killed, won’t that just be too bad’ or if it was a decision that they made themselves, it was the best one. Kudos to the man that pulled the trigger.

In some ways it’s like the quandries you see on any of the ‘animal cops’ shows….the humane shelter people want to save and salvage every animal that they can…but there are some that are just too damaged, too poor tempered, too sick to be saved…and the best outcome is to put them down.

Not necessarily declaring OBL an animal, however there are times when death is the best outcome.

It’s a relatively clean solution. Eye for an eye…dude murdered thousands, terrorized millions. And I guarantee you his death was quicker and less painful than that of many of his victims.

Mark Hammer
    Participant

I maybe late to the party, but isn’t the B&W picture posted earlier the famous picture of Che Guevara lying dead, surrounded by military personnel?

Hmmm, a bit of poking around and yes, so it is. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:FreddyAlbertoChe.jpg

Tara*
    Participant

I thought the military uniforms looked wrong! Now we know why whoever “shooped” it blacked out so much (including epaulettes). It would have immediately given it away.

It’s interesting to note how many “OBL death” photos and videos are circulating right now. A lot of people seem to need to see a photo to make it real, to gain closure.

Denise Petet
    Participant

When or if it’s released, it should look like the stateroom of a ship, because i sincerely doubted they paused to take photos in the compound…not when they were under a strict deadline to complete the mission and get out before Pakistan scrambled fighters.

I also doubt that any personnel want to pose with the corpse, so it would likely be a photo of the body, in some sort of ship like room (I don’t think they’d have done this on deck simply to control the info…most of the crew probably had no idea what had happened for a while), and probably with a sheet/blanket covering all but the head.

The SEALs, when they returned, likely were rushed below deck, behind locked doors to keep it quiet until some sort of ID was made.(the flight deck crew probably only knew it was some sort of covert op, and unless they had an exact head count, probably thought the bodybag/body was one of their own) And, even after that, I bet that only a handful of people even knew until it was confirmed and they buried the body. The ship also, very probably, locked down communications to keep someone from sending home a ‘omg, you will not believe what just happened….’ e-mail or IM. For all we know, the ship is still locked down and the personnel ordered within an inch of their lives to keep their mouths shut.

I have no doubt that there are copious pics of the body, the state of it, etc, finger prints, DNA samples, etc…and i’m sure they’re locked up tight. If I was the doctor doing the post mortem – or as much as they could given Islamic rules – I’d want as much ID as I could get without crossing any lines…and either the doctor knew the burial rules, or someone told them what they could/couldn’t do.

If the public ever sees them, it won’t be for 20+ years. I’m sure the video feeds were recorded too, and i’m sure they’re locked up just as tightly.

Mark Hammer
    Participant

Whatever images were captured, the likelihood fo them being black and white is pretty dang low.

Wanda Fisher
    Participant

Thank you to the entire military personnel system, to the team that did the job, to President Obama and his team and Thank God they got him. God bless this country and the endless hard work we all do!

Denise Petet
    Participant

I’m sure they were taken in full blown color, 14 megapixel, etc. but if you desaurate to release and turn them black and white, you de’gore it a bit.

I personally could care less if they’re ever released. it’d just give his followers something to emblazon on posters and banners. it’d be like that photo of the dying girl that was posterized and used as a rallying photo for which ever country was rioting at the time (I can’t recall the country, but last year or so, the young woman that was walking by a riot and accidentally shot by police..Mya was her name maybe? anyway, the photoshopped image of her bloody face became a symbol of the riot)

Chirag Patel
    Participant

hey folks,

I know since this killing of OBL took place in Pakistan, many questions came through mind. Was Pakistan knew about this? Was this a joint operation? Our relationship with Pakistan as some suggest “Frenemies”? Are we more friends than enemy or vice verse? Yesterday, I looked for timeline of the events took place following 9/11 and wanted to know who said what on record. So I came up with this site and it put all the pieces of puzzle in place. I said to myself, how did we get in this mess? Well, not surprisingly there were some revelation by some journalists on this site about how we have been misled ever since 9/11. I am attaching this link which you can read for yourself and make judgement. If you find people should know about this in and outside government, than you must share with others to help them understand. I know I have followed news for many years so if you followed news as well than some events in timeline will be recalled easily. Check it out…… TIMELINE SINCE AFGHANISTAN WAR

God bless our troops and USA.

Chirag

Thanks for the link – it is disappointing that our priorities seemed to be so scattered and inconsistent during such a critical time in our history.

Throughout the US war on terror, it looks like Pakstan was trying to be all things to all parties, and obstructed the US war effort on a lot of different levels. As far as OBL’s compound, I find it impossible that in a country where the per capita earnings are around $2,000, a $1 million mansion with 10 foot walls and barbed wire was constructed without raising the attention of any governmental officials! The Pakistani government is either extremely ignorant or liars, and either one renders them unworthy of being considered an ally or receive financing from the US. Cut all aid immediately, not a dime more.

I don’t doubt that he is gone, but would like to see photos just to satisfy my grisly curiosity. The conspiracy theorist will find a conspiracy whether the photos are released or not; especially, in this digital age of Photoshop, etc.

Billy Ted Smith
    Participant

I can’t put my true thoughts on this scum bag. We thought Hitler was bad but this snake was meant to be killed. Just saying…………..

Caryn Wesner-Early
    Participant

I hadn’t heard that – thanks. I kept thinking of Donne’s “Every man’s death diminishes me, for I am a part of the whole.” I’m glad he’s gone, but can’t really work up to being glad he’s dead.

Thomas Retterbush
    Participant

The question for many people is not if Osama bin Laden is dead, but rather, when did he die? According to prominent talk-show host Alex Jones and many others, Osama Bin Laden has been dead for years! Rumors are being spread, theories are being born and arguments are being made that the US Navy SEAL take-down mission was staged by the US government! And though I would normally dismiss this as conspiracy theorist mumbo-jumbo, they present some very convincing evidence. Check it out the article; Was the Killing of Bin Laden really Staged by US Government? at http://www.conspiracywatch.net/2011/05/was-killing-of-bin-laden-really-staged.html and make up your own minds as to what to make of this. I don’t know what to believe anymore!

Charles A. Ray
    Participant

The death of Osama bin Laden was, unfortunately, celebrated in some US cities. As evil as he was, it didn’t reflect well on us as a society to do this. That said, no sane person could possible mourn his demise. It’s just too bad that this won’t actually decrease the threat of terrorist operations against the US and its interests worldwide.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.