Participation

Home Forums Miscellaneous Participation

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Teri Centner 8 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

Henry Brown
    Participant

INTERESTING

SUSPECT that this principle MIGHT have some impact on the various Groups here at govloop

http://www.90-9-1.com/

If you spend any time at all talking about online communities, you’re bound to stumble across the 90-9-1 Principle. The idea is simple: In social groups, some people actively participate more than others. Researcher Jakob Nielsen calls this “Participation Inequality“.

These three groups make up an ecosystem, of sorts. Pulling on one group affects the distribution of the other. Of course, it’s typically not possible to change the distribution in significant ways, as the more people added into one group directly drives the growth of the other two groups, maintaining something close to a 90-9-1 split. Social participation tends to follow a 90-9-1 rule where:

* 90% of users are the “audience”, or lurkers. The people tend to read or observe, but don’t actively contribute.
    * 9% of users are “editors”, sometimes modifying content or adding to an existing thread, but rarely create content from scratch.
    * 1% of users are “creators”, driving large amounts of the social group’s activity. More often than not, these people are driving a vast percentage of the site’s new content, threads, and activity.

Teri Centner
    Participant

Since you can't edit another person's post in microblogging, perhaps we could call the the 9% in the Twitter world the re-tweeters.

Paul Canning
    Participant

Good to read someone sourcing this back to Jakob Nielsen! (my hero :] }

Les Yamagata
    Participant

Very interesting and insightful principle. For twitter, I suppose you can append/modify or opine on the RT, but character space can become an issue. I agree, the RTs would constitute the 9%.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.