April 9, 2010 at 3:38 pm #97197
Alice M. FisherParticipant
This is a position working for OPERATION HOMEFRONT
Location: Washington DC Metro Area (Not a Virtual or Home Office Position)
Job Title: Public Relations Manager
Reports to: Director of PR & Marketing
Pay Schedule: Bi-Weekly
Position Type: Regular, Full-Time, Exempt Status
Base Work Week: Monday – Friday
Base Work Hours: 40 Hours Base
Send resumes to:
Laura Yzaguirre, Chief Financial Officer
8930 Fourwinds Drive, Ste. 340
San Antonio, Tx 78239
Email: [email protected]
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
Manages and executes the public relations functions for Operation Homefront ("OHF"), provides public relations support and guidance for OHF chapters, and performs related assignments and responsibilities, using sound and independent judgment. The right candidate will have a passion for wanting to capture public attention by pitching and garnering earned media while earning public and editorial trust as a connected successful public relations professional. Yet, the perfect candidate will be keenly aware and tuned in with how the public relations field is changing—and will need to be able to employ more than traditional methods in the new-media.
• Acts as primary public relations liaison for OHF chapters and OHF villages nationwide, with responsibility for supporting their public/media relations needs and ensuring consistency across the organization.
• Assists with the planning, execution, and related activities for a broad array of communications activities, with an emphasis on public relations activities to promote OHF, its programs, activities and chapters.
• Conceptualizes and writes effective press releases, media advisories, public service announcements, talking points, backgrounders, and other public relations collateral.
• Builds media contacts lists and distributes press materials using media management software and tools.
• Ability to buy and negotiate local media, able to negotiate remnant media space and prepare insertion orders.
• Actively supports brand/reputation management for the organization and its chapters.
• Actively participates within the social media landscape across multiple new media channels such as blogs, a variety of social networks, and micro-blogging sites. (i.e., Facebook, Twitter, j-blogging video/photo-sharing applications).
• Represents the organization in working closely with chapter committees to provide public and media relations training, resources, and other support.
• Assists special events director with the development and execution of planning for national level marketing events including event planning, budgets, and metrics on events. These may be product-specific events or invitational donor events, and/or webinars.
• Tracks and reports on incoming media activity and monitor media coverage, including broadcast, print, and social media, and distribute results within the organization.
• Prepares monthly OHF chapter media coverage reports.
• Acts as liaison with vendors, with responsibility for quality and cost control.
• Goes beyond the press release in pitching stories about OHF, its chapters, clients, and programs. Fosters close working relationships with reporters, military public affairs personnel, sister organizations, bloggers, and other stakeholders.
• Enhances the credibility and trustworthiness of the position and OHF as sources of information and other communications.
• Fosters collaboration and information sharing within OHF and its chapters.
• Develops and maintains a public relations calendar.
• Travels as needed to assist with PR during special events. Ensures communications and press releases from OHF are effective, accurate, and in compliance with required standards.
• Serves as backup media relations national contact for the public relations director.
• Reviews inquiries and questions from chapters regarding public relations issues, investigates and assesses same, and formulates and implements solutions or plans of action to address same.
• Regularly evaluates, identifies, analyzes, assesses and reports potential problems and issues relative to the public relations functions and formulates solutions and plans of action to address the same.
• Works effectively, efficiently, and accurately to complete all tasks in accordance with the highest standards and to meet all required deadlines.
• Negotiates contracts, obtains best-value solutions, and has authority to enter into contracts on behalf of Operation Homefront's national organization.
• Performs other assignments, responsibilities, and tasks as directed.
CORE COMPETENCY REQUIREMENTS POSSESS:
• Commitment to complying with the highest ethical standards in all aspects of position.
• Advanced knowledge of the Department of Defense public affairs structures and media outlets. DINFOS training preferred.
• Loves to pitch media
• Social media experience
• Ability to independently engage in effective multi-tasking, efficient utilization of time and resources, and effective setting of priorities.
• Strong interpersonal skills, good judgment and the ability to communicate effectively with a diverse range of individuals and constituencies. Ability to work as part of a team, and to patiently assist chapters that have little or no public relations knowledge.
• Ability to work effectively and harmoniously under a high-level of pressure in both individual and team roles.
• Ability to adapt quickly to unexpected changes, deadlines, or business demands, and to make sound business judgments independently and under pressure.
• Ability to motivate self and others to achieve goals and deadlines.
• Dependability and reliability.
• Ability to work long hours, erratic schedules, as well as regular schedules.
• Ability to report to work and appointments on time.
• Effective and harmonious communication with both internal and external clients and contacts.
• APR and/or similar certifications are preferred.
• A valid Class “C” (state) Driver’s License is required.
• Use of personal vehicle may be required.
• Proof of Liability Insurance is required.
• Must have an extremely good driving record.
• Must maintain a good driving record that will continue to satisfy insurability requirements; this is a condition-of-employment and the failure to do so will result in termination.
• Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in area of study that is directly related to the position’s responsibilities. A degree or significant coursework in public relations, marketing, or journalism or a closely related field is strongly preferred.
• In lieu of requiring the foregoing degree, Operation Homefront, at its sole discretion, may determine that extensive, successful, and significant work experience in public relations, marketing, or journalism, or related areas (or that some combination of such work experience and college education) will be considered as the equivalent of a degree.
• Minimum of five years experience successfully performing public relations, marketing, or journalism responsibilities, preferably, in the non-profit sector.
• Media Software and Media Clip Experience (Vocus, Cision, PR Newswire)
• Microsoft Office Suite
• Adobe CS4 Suite
• Minor or experience in graphic art, visual arts, video
• Desktop publishing
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.