Project Management MBA – Your opinion needed

Home Forums Careers Project Management MBA – Your opinion needed

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Andrew Krzmarzick 7 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

Amanda Blount
    Participant

Here I am 42 (almost 43) and I need to figure out what I want to be when I grow up.

Over the years I have obtained so many Graduate credits I am sure I have enough to have a Master’s degree, but I never settled on one subject. I have taken Graduate credits in Emergency and Disaster Management, International Business, International Law, Contracting / Acquisitions, and I finished a few law classes. The problem I ran into is, I liked all the fields very much. I did well in all the classes. I wanted to do all the degress. But, I know I only have one life, and I need to figure out what I really want to do for the rest of my life.

I talked to someone at work in F&E and he told me that with my varied background I would be great in Project Management. He told me that in the PM career field I would be doing all of what I have been going to school for (and more) and in fact all of those classes would help me know what everyone else was doing.

So, here is the deal. I don’t know anything about the career field of PM. I really had never thought about it. So, I am going to let my trusted friends here on GOVLOOP tell me what they know about Project Management, and if it really is a good career field for someone with a lot of varied experiences and education.

** And what do I do with all the Graduate credits I have from various schools? Most schools only accept 9 credits from other schools. Should I just apply them to certificates? Your ideas are welcome. ***

I thank you for all your input.

(Hey, I just read that Andy has his PMP! So that alone gives me good vibes! 🙂

Hey Amanda – You probably already did, but if not you may want to join the Project Management Institute Group here on GovLoop and ask some folks there.

As for me, I completed a great, blended learning program that led to a certificate in project management from Villanova. It was also excellent prep for the PMP exam (which was grueling).

Also, talk to the guys that wrote the current GovReads book!

Amanda Blount
    Participant

Thank you! I appreciate the input! I am going to check out Villanova. 🙂

Amanda Blount
    Participant

This is great – Villanova is on the DAU list for partners who take DAU classes as credits! Good stuff!

Darron Passlow
    Participant

Amanda
    I love your honesty and that will help in PM.
    My suggestion is “get out and do it!” (and there is no time like the present).
    PM is like riding a bike (you can only read and learn about it for a limited time and then you need to do it).
    PM covers all aspects of work and life and good project managers are generally successful in what they do.
    I am surprised how few people I meet outside (traditional) project management areas do not understand how to plan and manage a project (or their life).
    PM is a great area to work in (as there are no restrictions on where you can apply it).
    Also (degrees and qualifications aside), project management is a practical activity and you improve with practice (“doing it”). I am an engineer (with a PhD) but have no formally qualifications in PM. This has not stood in the way of my being involved with successfully managing major projects over my working life.
    The certificates probably help when you are starting – but my advice is START and remember virtually no one picks their life career day one. PM gives you the basic discipline and approach to apply yourself to any situation. PM is a great area of endeavour and you will find where you fit in as you apply your skills and knowledge as you move forward. As Nike says “GO FOR IT!”

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

I used to be an IT Project Manager..To me, project management is a big fancy word and titles and certificates…for getting stuff done.

You know when you are planning a vacation and you have to plan 20 different things (from the airplane tix, to the schedule, to who’s watching the cat, etc) and you have to make lists, and get them done in the right order, and coordinate with everyone. That’s project management.

You’d be good at it and it’s definitely a skill in need. But I agree…Certificates are great and help you with project management. But the best PMs I’ve met – just do it and learn on job.

Jaime Gracia
    Participant

Amanda,

The most important part of project management is leadership, business acumen, and execution. In other words, project management is simply about management. You have a varied and extensive background to be successful, so it is just to learn the basic tools, techniques, and methodologies about professional project management that may be of interest to round out your experience and help you be more effective.

PMI and PMP is always a good route, but that depends on if project management is the field you want to be in, or is it the discipline that you want to add to your portfolio of professional education and knowledge. Perhaps a certificate and classes are best.

R. Anne Hull
    Participant

Amanda –

Whether or not you go for a PMP, with your background you might enjoy consolidating your breadth of knowledge/interests and do some seriously meaningful work with one of the abundant NGOs in this area. Start networking with people who work in a variety of them to find out if you need further education or a specific degree, as well as oppourhnties. Here are a couple of sites to get you started:

http://www.worldpress.org/library/ngo.cfm

http://jobs.care2.com

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.