Public service professionals’ views on the country have dimmed this summer, according to a recent survey.

Home Forums Budgeting Public service professionals’ views on the country have dimmed this summer, according to a recent survey.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Gerry La Londe-Berg 9 years ago.

• Author

mirae8386
    Participant

A survey of the Public Service Research Panel (PSRPanel.org) shows increasingly more public service professionals now believe the country is headed in the wrong direction. Fully 71% of public service professionals in the panel said the country is heading in the wrong direction, up from only 41% in January this year. The PSRPanel survey is based on responses from 193 public service professionals from across the United States participating in PSRPanel.org, an online academic research panel organized by Rutgers University’s School of Public Affairs and Administration.

For detailed survey results, or for information on participating, please visit http://PSRPanel.org

Gerry La Londe-Berg
    Participant

A 30% change is very dramatic downward shift in public employee opinion. I wonder who will pay attention? IMHO the repeated attacks on our (public employees) integrity by people who make generalizations are one factor in the dissatisfaction. Among others are the workload and the “great Recession” after effects.

Mike DeVirgilio
    Participant

I always have to wonder about this particular query in polls. When I hear that some majority thinks we’re going in the “wrong” direction, in what direction “exactly” are we going? Responding to that, what exactly is the “right” direction? For me, those replies are very much based on my personal financial situation, my political leanings relative to what’s happening (as reported by the various media choices), my religious belief (or lack thereof) and how it relates to the world, and a great number of other factors. Talk about generalizations! Relative our public service jobs – do more, with less – but the “more” is government over-reach, but followed by: why aren’t you doing more with the “less” we’ve provided you? Asking public employees? Read any of the various accounts by many politicians or media outlets, and we’re greedy, uncaring, sub-human burdens who are overpaid, and generally not needed and to some, evil. Given that steady message, it’s a wonder that 29% have anything positive to say. And, despite that, I still am appreciative of my job, and continue to try to do it the best way I know how. Go figure.

Mark Hammer
    Participant

Do note that these are survey data from a rather small sample; under 200 in most instances. So, a 30% drop reflects the opinion of about 56-60 people. So don’t draw strong inferences.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.