Public Service Recognition Week – Why are you a public servant?

Home Forums Miscellaneous Public Service Recognition Week – Why are you a public servant?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Sterling Whitehead 7 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

Celebrate Public Service Recognition Week!

This week gives us an opportunity to step back and honor wonderful public servants such as yourself – who serve our nation as government employees at the federal, state, county and local level and in turn ensure that our government is the best in the word.

What motivates you to be a public servant?

Sterling Whitehead
    Participant

a) My father
    b) Family tradition

Stephen Peteritas
    Participant

GovLoop will out asking this same ? face-to-face (well actually camera to face but you get it) Thursday. So be prepared to have some good answers. Thanks for kicking us off Tom!

R J Parry
    Participant

My entire adult life has been service. 14 Yr Air Force Vet, plus 4 years NY AIr National Guard, plus 14 Years DoD. Is there anything else other than service to this great nation?

Annette M Super
    Participant

It’s an honor and a priviledge to be a part of something that serves so many.

Terrence Hill
    Participant

My passion for service began early with the Boy Scouts (Eagle), then migrated to the Marine Corps, and afterward service in the Army, DoD, DOJ, FDIC, and now DHS. I am drawn to the mission and the cause of making this world a little better for the next generation. I not only serve others in the government, but strive to volunteer in service to the community.

Beth Beck
    Participant

The opportunity to “do the right thing” is much more compelling to me than billable hours. Public service, in theory, is all about the PUBLIC GOOD. We can easily loose sight of the concept as we chase careers, but it all comes back to who we work for: citizens of the United States. The scariest thing about working in the government is tripping over folks who see this job as an entitlement rather than a privilege. I see my NASA badge as a symbol of public trust. And that’s pretty humbling.

🙂

Andrew Scarvell
    Participant

I wanted to be a policy analyst since high school. I’m in the Australian Public Service in order to make a difference, bring about a greater PUBLIC GOOD, frankly and fearlessly. The day that someone convinces me that I can’t make a difference is the day I retire.

Carol Davison
    Participant

This insecure farm girl joined the U.S.A.F. to get money for college and see the world. I’ve earned an M.S., seen my programs implemented on four continents, and use these competencies to make a difference and leave a legacy. Is there better opportunity in any other country? Thanks, Uncle Sam and God Bless America! Now I’m looking for a leadership development project where I can determine the impact of programs. Any suggestions?

Bryan Quinn
    Participant

I served in the Army during Vietnam, stateside for four years. My dad served 22 years before retiring and served in Vietnam. My wife retired two years ago after 34 years of government service. I never thought about government service other than the military until an opportunity presented itself to work for the State Department about 7 years ago. It has been one of the best jobs I’ve ever had! Great bosses and people to work with, projects to work on have been varied and rewarding, truly what better way to earn a living than working for the people of the United States!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.