Question of the Week-3: What is the difference, if any, between World Wide Web (three words) and WorldWideWeb (one word)?

Home Forums Miscellaneous Question of the Week-3: What is the difference, if any, between World Wide Web (three words) and WorldWideWeb (one word)?

This topic contains 14 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Emi Whittle 10 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

Dr D.C.Misra
    Participant

Alice Fisher will continue to be the judge to decide the best reply. As a judge she gets my confidential reply first.
    Discussion closes next Friday, December 26.
    Have a Merry Christmas.

Emi Whittle
    Participant

I think these will end up under the same entry…. someday…. no difference at all, is my vote!

Dr D.C.Misra
    Participant

Nope, otherwise there will be no question! (Even Google with its 8.5 pages won’t help you).

Have Merry Christmas.

Adriel Hampton
    Participant

Very interesting! I am reading that WorldWideWeb was an actual browser, the first, while the World Wide Web, commonly shortened to simply the Web, is the whole network of pages and content that we access using the Internet. Never would have know if not for the question!

Dr D.C.Misra
    Participant

Omg! I thought it was a difficult question (and still think it is), and yet you cracked it, 100 out of 100. My congratulations and a very deep appreciation. But do tell me where did you find the answer? (Incidentally Google was also of no help to me in first five pages after which I gave up.). As a token of my appreciation I will separately send you my quiz on Internet (together with answer key no doubt) which you may like to glance through at your convenience.And you have virtually snatched the baton from the hands of Daniel who has been declared winner of the last question by Alice who did a wonderful job as a judge despite holidays. Daniel has now to wait for his turn next year! You have now become the judge for the next question, not of the week but for the “Question of the Year 2008,” which you have to pilot. Just check next discussion and take over. And thanks a lot, Adriel.

Here is wishing happy holidays to every one who responded to questions.

Dr D.C.Misra
    Participant

Oh, Adriel, my apologies. I did not know that you couldn’t send an attachment on this email. There is also a limit of 2000 characters. So if you want my quiz on the Internet (20+ questions) you will have to send me an email and I will send the quiz to you. (There is no question of uploading the file as the quiz is meant exclusively for you). If there is an alternative way, do suggest it.

Dr D.C.Misra

Adriel Hampton
    Participant

I have to admit to finding the answer on wikipedia, which actually had entries for both terms (although I was familiar with the first!). I am happy to judge the e-gov question, which I was just about to take a look at. My e-mail is adriel (at) adrielhampton.com and I would love to have a copy of the quiz. Thank you!

Dr D.C.Misra
    Participant

Your internet quiz is on way. Enjoy it.

Dr D.C.Misra

Ari Herzog

The web is part of the internet, but not the whole of it.

Email, for instance, is separate from the web.

…and you don’t access the web from the internet. You access the web from a web browser.

Adriel Hampton
    Participant

somebody sounds like a sore loser 🙂

Adriel Hampton
    Participant

@Ed, are you disagreeing that there was a browser called WorldWideWeb? I put just as much stock in the google and wikipedia than in journalists, after many occassions of seeing sucessive stories repeat errors in an initial story during my eight years as a newspaper reporter and editor.

Adriel Hampton
    Participant

Dr D.C.Misra
    Participant

Aren’t you free to name a browser-editor the way you like? WorldWideWeb was the name of first Web client, a browser-editor that ran on a Next machine.

Dr D.C.Misra

Dr D.C.Misra
    Participant

I agree with the first part entirely, Ed. Wikipedia cannot be treated as a standard as it is based both on shaky foundation (any body can contribute to it though no one knows the qualifications of the contributor!) and structure (no one knows the qualifications of people who edit the submitted content. In fact such editorship is quite arbitrary). It is best to call it “marketpedia,” that is, information collected from market.It is like asking some one for directions in a town square and he can, and often does, give wrong directions. The same applies to wikipedia.

Stacy Roberts
    Participant

The only difference is the word count…
    In a sentence you would use the 3 word version .
    Stacy Roberts

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.