Read This!

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Steve Cottle 5 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

Josh Folk
    Participant

“Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young.” ~Henry Ford

Reading and learning on a daily basis is a great way to advance professionally, but can also be a huge time-waster. I’m always amazed at how some colleagues seem to master this process — a true art form. So I’m curious: How do you do it?

1. Which communications-specific resources (trade publications, blogs, etc.) do you read regularly?

2. How do you share articles internally with colleagues (email, yammer, etc.)?

3. How do you prevent information overload?

Steve Cottle
    Participant

Regarding #2, my team implemented Yammer (initially as a pilot and later as a permanent communication tool). It takes a little bit of work to determine the rules of the road that work best for your organization (I’d recommend checking in after a week and then again after a month to discuss and revise), but once you have that down, we found that with careful tagging, it can provide an invaluable platform to get the right information to the right people and to help with filtering, which gets to your third question.

Josh Folk
    Participant

Thanks, Steve. I have mixed feelings over Yammer. My organization actually just switch to Google Plus.

Josh Folk
    Participant

I setup google reader and try to read the following a few times per week:

– Washington Technology

– Federal Computer Week

– Government Executive
    – Government Computer News
    – GovFresh
    I also make time daily in my calendar to catch up on discussions happening within GovLoop and LinkedIn. With the articles that I don’t have time to read I try to save them and catch up on Saturday morning.
    Re: Information overload. I feel like Twitter is the main culprit here. I could spend all day reading stuff from it.

Corey McCarren
    Participant

When I was younger (like real young, just started learning to read), my aunt once asked me what I like to read. My reply was “everything”. I still feel that way, except I’ve found that reading “everything” can be problematic with so much to read. Sometimes I find myself reading about something I completely don’t care about, like when Britney Spears’ shaved her head. Couldn’t care less, knew all about it. I’ve begun to try and stay off things like Yahoo!, which has a ton of things staring in my face that I don’t need to read but will.

To try and escape information overload, I’ve made my homepage and favorites specific parts of websites that I want to read, like CNN or Washington Post opinion and politics sections.

Josh Folk
    Participant

Corey, it’s definitely easy to want to read everything! Sometimes, I find it hard to shut my computer all the way down because I don’t want to lose my various browsers full of articles that I want to get to eventually!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.