Recruitment 411 Chatter: Are printed marketing materials a thing of the past?

Home Forums Miscellaneous Recruitment 411 Chatter: Are printed marketing materials a thing of the past?

This topic contains 14 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Jeff S 6 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

Chris IRS Recruiter
    Participant

Yesterday I read an article about the death of the American bookstore. Bookstores used to be a staple of American culture – even the smallest towns in the middle of nowhere had a bookstore. Now, thanks in part to online shopping and the ever popular e-reader, this refuge from the real word is rapidly disappearing from our landscape.

The article got me thinking about how technology continues to impact the way we do business. In this age of instantaneous communication, apps for everything and anything we could need or want are truly just a click away.

As our society becomes more and more electronically evolved, are printed marketing materials going to be the next thing to disappear from our business landscape?

Jeff S
    Participant

Printed items still have their place. I do think that the next generation will be all electronic so it is definitely an endangered species

Patricia Paul
    Participant

Interesting thought concerning printed marketing materials–I think you and Jeff are right that we are coming to an all electronic age but I do believe that it will take a little longer than we think. I come from a generation of sales people that have always had business cards and slicks or one sheets to leave behind after an appointment. I feel absolutely underdressed if I don’t have one of the two.

Right now-there are still many people who like to be able to have something to put their hands on to remind them of a vendor or meeting or class. But the time will come, when all of that will be electronic.

Another staple that I see the iPhone and Androids replacing-watches! Everyone always has their phone in their hand with the time right on it (even if you just flew across the US and through 3 timezones–your phone will update correctly). I love my iPhone but I’ve been wearing watches much to long to stop now. But I see it coming around the bend.

Allison Primack
    Participant

I think printed marketing materials will definitely be the next thing to disappear. The coolest thing I’ve seen recently is instead of giving out paper marketing materials, someone gave me a tiny usb drive with all the materials on it! That way I was able to look at all the multimedia information on my own time (and all the websites had direct links I could click on), and I also had a cool usb to take home!

Or what if the watches become phones and ipads? 😉

Bookstores: done. Libraries: still the hub.

I hope.

Patricia Paul
    Participant

Andrew-

That would be fine as long as the style is sleek and can be worn with casual or dressy attire–one good thing–at least my phone would always be right on my arm and not lost in my purse

Allison Primack
    Participant

On Facebook, a majority said that printed materials definitely won’t be disappearing anytime soon!

To join GovLoop discussions on Facebook, click here!

Terri Jones
    Participant

I am definitely printing far less. I was the worst offender, taking materials at shows and then leaving them in my hotel room when my suitcase was full. Now I just snap pictures of them and leave them behind because I can then email it to everyone. Now as a marketing person, I choose to print less and offer people the option, but largely, people prefer the electronic version in my experience.

Ashley Fuchs
    Participant

I think printed materials will always be around, just not in the same fashion. I try to be completely paperless but nothing makes my heart swoon like a beautiful work of printed typography. Books and posters will be more like informative art than a casual waste of trees. Printouts for meetings are a waste of paper (for me) since I can’t search it and will probably ask to have it emailed to me so I can digitally manage the content (there are exceptions to this rule.) Business cards are an extra step in my communication process. I don’t understand why people take digital information, print it, and give it to someone so they can process it back into digital information or throw it away completely. Humanity isn’t quite ready to go paperless in the working world, but not because the technology isn’t there (budget might not allow the transition.) Maybe it’s because paper is tangible and bytes in a computer are not. This is scary stuff for those who weren’t born into a world of computers.

What’s more feasible if your house/office starts on fire? Grabbing your entire file cabinet and all those boxes of photos or grabbing your laptop and your external hard-drive?

Karolyn Chowning
    Participant

For those of us that were (born into a world of computing), though, I see potential for the pendulum to swing back. The overwhelming majority of my conversations in undergrad were via IM and email, almost none of which I have copies of anymore due to migrating accounts, failing backups, changing software and general data loss. Yet I remember vividly thinking that, because I was using a computer, I’d have documentation of this forever.

(Complete aside: I think this is related to the “lack of privacy” people keep saying that Gen Y & Millennials have. It’s more important to me to have the past 5 years of journaling available to me online than it is important to me that no one else be able to see it. If no one else can see it, then it’s up to me to maintain the archive. But in the cloud, there’s a collective responsibility for maintaining reality.)

Just my two dollars (adjusted for inflation).

Marketing materials seem to be tied to trade shows, which also seem silly to me as a professional. Let’s all leave our offices for 2-4 days, spend large quantities of money and fossil fuels to get halfway across the country and spend the whole day in a glorified hotel lobby so vendors can hock their wares. Conferences are only slightly better, but at least there is training and knowledge to be gained.

I think this applies beyond trade shows to general mail marketing. PLEASE, vendors, stop sending me “slick” postcards and catalogs in the mail and email me instead with links to your online catalog and to set up webinars. I will schedule them, I might pay attention during them, and I am WAY more likely to work with you than if you hand out free pens that break or full color glossy brochures.

Gosh I hope so, with tight budgets not printing our recruiting materials has been a savings. I’m currently trying to convince my boss to move to flashdrives for new hire materials – then links work and we can customize easier. Flash drives are now cheaper then printing materials and shoving them in a binder. However having grown up in Maine and watching the papermills slowly closing their doors a part of me feels really horrible at the job loss, not just printers downsizing but the paper industry has really taken a hit in the last 12 or so years.

Working as an Agent-Publisher / Publicist for Authors I can safely say the latest information regarding sales of print vs digitized media (bookwise) is eBooks (digital) sold $473.8M in 2011 with a 161.3% percentage increase – Adult Hardcover was down by -23.7%, Adult Paperback was down by -26.6%, Mass Market was down by -28.5%, Children’s/YA Hardcover was down by -11.7, and Children’s/YA Paperback down by -15.1 for a combined total of -8.6% with eBooks being the redeeming virtue of the industry.

As far as “Government” paper – The Paperwork Reduction Act of 1980 (Pub. L. No. 96-511, 94 Stat. 2812) with subsequent versions as recent as 2010 with a markup in 2011 works to reduce if not totally redact the wastefulness of paper over electronic media or at least the insightful use of paper to involve green technology, recycled products, and logistical use.

For the APMP (Association of Proposal Management Professionals) as the Government liaison – in creating a baseline image of “paper use” for proposal submissions vs electronic each year the waste equates to multi-millions of dollars – just to submit proposals to Government offices. When a submission calls for 5 or 6 volumes (which is common) and then 70 pages or so each with 100 to 200 submitters (more or less) with winners equating to usually 1 or perhaps for an ID/IQ up to 10 (a high average) the result is over 140 reams of paper per submission. If you times this to the thousands of proposals in a given year – the paper waste is astronomical and this does not include binders, CDs, tabs, inserts, etc. With the latter products being even more difficult to recycle. At some juncture we have to counter-balance the effect to the environment. One eReader after a year of use saves an astronomical amount when referencing deforestation.

Reality is – electronic media has its place – but we need to also have a paper trail of print media in the event the electricity ever goes out. Fail safes are needed. Also, books just like handwritten greetings, will increasingly become more novel and collectible – especially first editions with signatures. And, magazines, of course, more entertaining if handheld – we love the morning paper with our wake-up medicine of choice. So it will be further and further into the future for the “non-print” lifestyle; however, in the 1800’s the quill and ink was a necessity in every household – now it is an “art.” The typewriter was the tool of communications, then typing with carbon and print companies had mastodon machinery. Evolution occurs regardless of “us.”

Not to worry though – The Paper Reduction Act started in 1980 – so far we haven’t reduced paper too dramatically, so we have plenty of time to adjust.

Donna L. Quesinberry

CEO-President

dpInk: DonnaInk Publications

http://www.donnaink.com

(Copyright © dpInk: DonnaInk Publications. All Rights Reserved.)

This “comment” has not been edited and will be used in an upcoming story on the Examiner.

Wendell Black
    Participant

IMO, the Electronic Generation or “E-Generation” as I like to call them will be hard pressed to find printed material as technology moves at the speed of light. I agree w/Jeff S. that printed items will still have their place in our society, but they will be harder and harder to find.

Erica Schachtell
    Participant

Paper use and printing on paper will never go away, regardless of advances in digital technology. Papermaking and printing are two of the finest gems of human civilization, and everyone uses them everyday.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.