Recruitment 411 Chatter: TMI on Your Résumé

Home Forums Careers Recruitment 411 Chatter: TMI on Your Résumé

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Henry Brown 5 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

Chris IRS Recruiter
    Participant

A coworker and I are having a bit of a debate, and we’re hoping some of our fellow govies will weigh in and help us settle it. Here’s the question that sparked our debate: How much work experience should you list on your résumé?

I said three to five years or the previous four jobs are plenty. My coworker says any and all experience that is relevant to the position you are applying for should be included.

While I see his point, I wonder: is there such a thing as too much information when it comes to your résumé?

Henry Brown
    Participant

IMO one is between the devil and a hard-spot with this issue: Later in my career what I would do is: my “cover letter” would attempt to reduce volume of reading initially required by the hiring supervisor. And because the first hurdle to get over was the “automated” screening, my actual resume would include all relevant information, assumming that it was not redundant. whether it went back 5 years or 15 years

Pattie Buel
    Participant

I have multiple versions. The really long one has every job I’ve had since college, including 9 years in the military that’s really not pertinent to the work I do know. A shorter version has a single line for US Army – Various military intelligence positions. The most frequently used version has greater focus on the jobs I’ve had that are the work I want to be doing and smaller entries for those jobs that show skills in particular areas (my stint on the Help Desk as a Trainer) and the one-liners for the jobs that have no relevance to the one I’m applying for

Stephen Spires
    Participant

A common standard is 10 years employment history. Many employers ask for this on applications. Three to five years would be a little short. Pattie is also right on with a one line summary for older jobs or those with no relevance. A one liner for military service should always be noted somewhere on the resume, especially with an Honorable Discharge. We recommend this to veteran job seekers in our workforce region. Of course this is different for a federal job – complete expansive history is the rule.

Stephen Peteritas
    Participant

You display at least your current and one previous job and then any other relevant work experience for the position you are applying for.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.