Resume advice

Home Forums Careers Resume advice

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Esther Dacanay 7 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

Geethays
    Participant

I spent $375 for soembody to review my resume at resumeplace.com from Kathryn Trouthman. It was a total waste of my money. Can somebody recommend who can review and tailor resumes for a federal job?

Geetha

Esther Dacanay
    Participant

Yes…..you should check out http://www.FederalResumix.com

Mark Hammer
    Participant

There are a myriad of books containing sample resumés that you can find at the public library, that will nicely illustrate how to tailor a resumé to the particular employer, and career path.

The best advice I can offer with respect to resumés is that you are helping someone to make a decision. Too many candidates forget that. Part of that is certainly to trumpet your virtues, but the biggest part is to make it easy for them to get to the information that, for them, is critical in making that decision. If it ain’t relevant to the job, leave it out, no matter how proud you are of it. I can imagine that, for example, there will be contexts in which one’s volunteeer activities and participation in organizations, can be relevant to a given job, but a great many where it isn’t. Should a person have won trophy after trophy in show-jumping, that’s nice, but the relevance to any given job will be quite limited. That’s obviously an extreme example, but you get what I mean.

As part of our mandate, our organization has been gathering survey data from hiring managers and candidates across the whole of the Canadian government for the past decade. About 3-4 years ago, I inserted some questions inquiring how important each of a number of candidate factors were in the manager’s selection decision. And we asked thousands of candidates who had applied for jobs how important they felt each of those very same factors were in the decision made (some of these folks were successful in landing the job, some unsuccessful). One of the more interesting results was that, looking across thousands of managers, competitons, and job types, abilities were the #1 consideration for both managers and applicants. However, where applicants thought that their work experience and training were important, hiring managers generally treated these as noticeably less important than being a good match to the work unit. For hiring managers, it generally came down to two things: can they do the job, and can I work with them? And of course, successful candidates tended to have perceptions a little more in line with managers’ priorities than did unsuccessful ones; i.e., they better anticipated what was important in the manager’s selection decision-making

So that’s what your resumé needs to accomplish. It needs to identify what you can do that is potentially useful to the organization, and it needs to provide easily discernible evidence that you are someone who can fit into the circumstances that are typical of their work unit. It’s not so much the breadth or extent of your work experience in general, but rather the manner in which your work experience identifies that you can fit in nicely here.

Part of accomplishing that involves knowng as much about the organization and job as you can, such that you can highlight the relevant information. And part of highlighting the relevant information involves not burying it in 10 pages of irrelevant stuff. Keep it short and sweet, and provide a reason for them to want to interview you and follow up on what seems so intriguing in the resumé.

Best of luck getting work you love. Everyone deserves that.

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

What did you feel made it not worth it? What would be a great job? Lily whiteman does good work too

Ari Herzog

Did you write this question, or did you pay someone money to ask on your behalf?

YOU CAN WRITE YOUR OWN RESUME and don’t let resume writers let you think different.

Seek out a career coach instead.

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

I agree with Ari in the fact that while writing a federal resume seems confusing…if you read all the information on opm.gov and usajobs.gov you should be able to handle it.

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

I would never pay anyone that much money to review my resume or write it for me. I know myself best and I know my accomplishments best no resume writer can sell me better than me. Have you tried going back to your university college and asking them for assistance? Most universities will do a critique for free or vert low cost. I went back to my school and they did a really good job for my private industry and federal resume. The review was free. However, I will say because of my focus the two will not differ all that much. I did purchase Kathryn’s book and I found it really helpful especiall the part where you are migrating your private industry skills to government. Just a bit of a plug.

Jennifer

Geethays
    Participant

Thanks for all the responses. No, I was not paid to ask the questions. I lost $375 and I am frustrated. Here are the things that I did not like:
    1. There was no discussion with the editor prior to beginning; So, I had no chance to express my expectations.
    2. It looked like the person did not even review the entire resume – no comments on additional info section.
    3. I had prepared the resume based on Kathryn’s book – which I found was useful and got it for free from the library.
    4. The critique only included boilerplate comments like – use more action verbs etc. which you can get for free on the internet.
    5. When I expressed my unhappiness, they said they will look into it. No response to further e-mails.
    6. I wanted somebody to review the resume and make sure it reflected over 25 years of programming experience. Given the constraints of #of characters, I wanted the resume to look polished without too many details. Anyway, I would have paid $10 for what I got. I have learned my lesson..

Geetha

Marie Anita Brooks
    Participant

feel so bad for you right now, what is your status? working, trying to get promoted or what?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.