Seeking a job in government relations and engagement

Home Forums Careers Seeking a job in government relations and engagement

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Steve Ressler 7 years ago.

• Author

Alan Raisman
    Participant

I graduated last May with a Bachelor of Arts degree from Lafayette College, majoring in Government and Law as well as International Affairs. Throughout my college career I have been intensely involved in the city of Easton, Pennsylvania and its community.

While at Lafayette College, I helped establish a group to create greater town-gown relations between Lafayette College and the community in Easton, PA. In the fall of my sophomore year, I started a research project called One Word – One City; I asked the people of Easton to describe their home in one word in an attempt to understand the community and those who lived there. I was asked to present my research at Easton City Council, Easton’s chapter of the Pennsylvania Weed and Seed, and the Arts Community of Easton. My understanding of the community and the people of Easton grew quickly, and I continued to attend Easton City Council meetings for the following two years as well as sitting on both the Community Restoration Committee and the Safety Committee of Easton’s Weed and Seed.

In order to create a more personal relationship with the people of Easton, I became the first Lafayette College student volunteer with Easton’s Main Street program and the first student member of the Easton Environmental Advisory Council. I also served as the secretary of the College Hill Neighborhood Association for one year, the first Lafayette College student to sit on their Executive Committee. My committee roles offered me the opportunity to engage with the Departments of Public Works, Economic Development, and Planning for the city of Easton, PA.

Because of my One Word – One City project, I learned how the people in Easton see not only their community but their government, and I wanted to help reengage the people of Easton with their elected officials. In addition to attending over fifty Easton, PA City Council meetings, I served as an intern for Pennsylvania State Senator Rob Wonderling. When he resigned to serve as the CEO of the Greater Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce, I was asked to join his successor, State Senator Bob Mensch, as an intern in the spring of my senior year. I met with numerous Easton residents about their concerns, and because of my outreach, I brought several Easton residents to their first City Council meeting. In November 2007, it was suggested that I attend a Running for Local Government workshop by the Lehigh Valley League of Women Voters, and I was asked by several Easton residents to run for City Council; I declined since I could not commit a four year term. I am seeking a full-time job in Easton, Harrisburg, and D.C. If I do find one in Easton, I have already been encouraged to try to run for City Council in 2012.

I also have five years of event planning, public speaking, fundraising, project management and community relations experience. Before I graduated Lafayette College last May, I was presented with the Service Above Self Award from Lafayette College as well as a Certificate of Recognition from Easton’s City Council. My focus throughout my life has been engagement, bringing people from around together to interact with one another. I served as a Motivational Speaker on three People to People Leadership Summits, speaking to over 600 students from 40 countries about relationship building and international understanding; I have traveled to thirty countries since 2000 promoting the same message.

Thank you,

Alan Raisman
    [email protected]

facebook.com/araisman
    twitter.com/alanraisman

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Great story Alan. What would be your dream job? Lots of ideas I have for you. I’m guessing you want to continue to focus on local government level – is that true?

Alan Raisman
    Participant

Steve,

Thank you very much for your comment. Yes, I would prefer to work in local government. If you could provide any recommendations for employment, I would greatly appreciate it.

Alan Raisman
    [email protected]

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.