Seeking Ideas for Related PhD Disciplines

Home Forums Miscellaneous Seeking Ideas for Related PhD Disciplines

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Steve Ressler 7 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

Bob King
    Participant

With the implementation of the post 9/11 GI Bill I now have the opportunity to pursue a funded PhD program.

What would a good fit related to Gov20 & organizational change?

Communications? Sociology? Business? Something else?

Are there any recommed colleges or programs in this area?

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

I’d go with Public Policy. Syracuse has Gov 2.0 course and Harvard Kennedy has some discussions.

Georgetown has a cool – Culture, Comm, & Tech program

Generally I’d go where you find a professor that has similar interests and you like. That makes all the difference.

Gwynne
    Participant

I agree with checking out public policy programs, and I’d suggest also looking at informatics programs.

Bill Brantley
    Participant

George Mason University’s PhD program in Public Policy allows you design a customized program. That might be a good fit.
    http://policy.gmu.edu/Home/AcademicProfessionalPrograms/DoctoralProgram/tabid/65/Default.aspx

Rob Seidner
    Participant

I would suggest Public Administration because it deals more with the pragmatic topics you suggested. The classics of Public Administration include a combination of political science, sociology and business/management/economics.

I agree with the statement about finding a professor you can work with first because of how important that relationship will be to you completing the degree. I also highly suggest you look into the structure of the program if you are looking to do this part time or do not plan on an academic career. PhD programs cater to different niches and design every aspect of the education towards that end goal. Not that one style is better than another, but fit matters more for a PhD then BA or Masters.

Good luck and thank you for your service.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.